Pa"tient (?), a. [F., fr. L. patiens, -entis, p.pr. of pati to suffer. Cf. Pathos, Passion.]

1.

Having the quality of enduring; physically able to suffer or bear.

Patient of severest toil and hardship. Bp. Fell.

2.

Undergoing pains, trails, or the like, without murmuring or fretfulness; bearing up with equanimity against trouble; long-suffering.

3.

Constant in pursuit or exertion; persevering; calmly diligent; as, patient endeavor.

Whatever I have done is due to patient thought. Sir I. Newton.

4.

Expectant with calmness, or without discontent; not hasty; not overeager; composed.

Not patient to expect the turns of fate. Prior.

5.

Forbearing; long-suffering.

Be patient toward all men. 1 Thess. v. 14.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pa"tient, n.

1.

One who, or that which, is passively affected; a passive recipient.

Malice is a passion so impetuous and precipitate that often involves the agent and the patient. Gov. of Tongue.

2.

A person under medical or surgical treatment; -- correlative to physician or nurse.

Like a physician, . . . seeing his patient in a pestilent fever. Sir P. Sidney.

In patient, a patient who receives lodging and food, as treatment, in a hospital or an infirmary. -- Out patient, one who receives advice and medicine, or treatment, from an infirmary.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pa"tient, v. t.

To compose, to calm.

[Obs.] "Patient yourself, madam."

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.