People is the name of a magazine solely dedicated to the dumbing down of the masses on a monthly basis by publishing articles and gossip about so called celebrities and what their latest trials and tribulations might be. Other articles include mostly “feel good stories” and other so-called stories of human interest.

If you don’t believe me take a gander at a smattering of the October 15, 2012 edition in which you’ll be treated to such breathtaking stories such as:

  • Jennie Garth Tells PEOPLE: How I Got My Body (and My Life) Back! – spoiler, she lost 30 pounds.
  • Anne Hathaway’s Dream Wedding
  • Rosie O’ Donnel: My Heart Attack Saved My Life
  • A Saved By The Bell Star’s Sad Spiral
  • Mindy Kaling: Out Of Office
  • Veterans Who Help When Disaster Hits
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger: I Want Maria Back
  • John Taylor: Rock Star Gone Good

    Usually only found in worn and weathered past editions in waiting rooms of dentists and doctors throughout the land, People has given its readership many journalist masterpieces that include such categories as Sexiest Man Alive, Sexiest Woman Alive, Most Beautiful People, Best Dressed People and Most Intriguing People of the Year. While thumbing through a recent edition (circa November 2010) at my latest visit to the doctor I was pleasantly surprised when upon reading the names of these individuals most of them would be complete strangers to me.

    The first edition of People (then called People Weekly) hit the stands way back in March of 1974. An early indication of its journalistic philosophy might be best summed up by its original managing editor who stated that the purpose of the magazine was to “getting back to the people who are causing the news and who are caught up in it, or deserve to be in it. Our focus is on people, not issues." The original price was 35 cents and I probably wouldn’t be willing to pay that today in its current format.

    That’s not to say other people won’t. I think the newsstand cost is roughly $3.99 per edition but if you choose to subscribe that can be brought down based on the package you elect. With a current readership estimated at around 46.6 million adults it has the largest audience of any magazine in America. In an effort to undermine an entire generation of younger readers it even spawned an evil twin back in 1998 called Teen People but thankfully ceased publication of that in 2006.

    I know that to some of you I might be coming down a bit hard on the magazine and its contents and I realize that people like to be entertained and take a break from most of the depressing news that is going on all around them. However, I will say this. Due to the success of People and its many imitators the way much of the general public perceives the news has shifted over the years. Many can’t be bothered by reading in depth news stories that might have a direct bearing on their lives and would rather hear about the current flavor of the day and their recent lovechild or what their favorite donut is.

    To me, that’s a sad state of affairs.

    Source(s)

    Various waiting rooms in dentist and doctors offices
    Hotel lobbies
    Emergency room waiting rooms
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_(magazine)

  • I think that People is a really good magazine. There are lots of cool things about rock stars, like Lady Gaga and Justin Timberlake and, TV people like the Simpsons and stuff like that.

    I think it is totally mean to diss People because you don't like famous people, like, Taylor Swift, who is really nice and never says mean things to hardly anybody.

    There are a lot of my friends who read People, and not just when they are at the dentist. Yeah, and you know dentists would not have it there in their offices if they didn't think it was good for you, right? Yeah, seriously.

    If I were you I would try and read ALL of the magazine some time so you could know how much good things are in there, instead of just harshing on people you envy so much.

    Peo"ple (?), n. [OE. peple, people, OF. pueple, F. peuple, fr. L. populus. Cf. Populage, Public, Pueblo.]

    1.

    The body of persons who compose a community, tribe, nation, or race; an aggregate of individuals forming a whole; a community; a nation.

    Unto him shall the gathering of the people be. Gen. xlix. 10.

    The ants are a people not strong. Prov. xxx. 25.

    Before many peoples, and nations, and tongues. Rev. x. 11.

    Earth's monarchs are her peoples. Whitter
    .

    A government of all the people, by all the people, for all the people. T. Parker.

    Peopleis a collective noun, generally construed with a plural verb, and only occasionally used in the plural form (peoples), in the sense of nations or races.

    2.

    Persons, generally; an indefinite number of men and women; folks; population, or part of population; as, country people; -- sometimes used as an indefinite subject or verb, like on in French, and man in German; as, people in adversity.

    People were tempted to lend by great premiums. Swift
    .

    People have lived twenty-four days upon nothing but water. Arbuthnot
    .

    3.

    The mass of comunity as distinguished from a special class; the commonalty; the populace; the vulgar; the common crowd; as, nobles and people.

    And strive to gain his pardon from the people. Addison
    .

    4. With a possessive pronoun: (a)

    One's ancestors or family; kindred; relations; as, my people were English.

    (b)

    One's subjects; fellow citizens; companions; followers

    . "You slew great number of his people."

    Shak.

    Syn. -- People, Nation. When speaking of a state, we use people for the mass of the community, as distinguished from their rulers, and nation for the entire political body, including the rulers. In another sense of the term, nation describes those who are descended from the same stock; and in this sense the Germans regard themselves as one nation, though politically subject to different forms of government.

     

    © Webster 1913.


    Peo"ple (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Peopled p. pr. & vb. n. Peopling ().] [Cf. OF. popler, puepler, F. puepler. Cf. Populate.]

    To stock with people or inhabitants; to fill as with people; to populate.

    "Peopled heaven with angels."

    Dryden.

    As the gay motes that people the sunbeams. Milton
    .

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.