A cyborg, or cybernetic organism, is a living creature (ie, an organism), that has been somehow fused with a cybernetic device, such as a pacemaker.

A question is, are you a cyborg while you are shaving, or wearing contacts...

see also gynoid.

A major character of DC Comics' The New Teen Titans back in the 1980s, originally created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. Cyborg was a college football player named Victor Stone whose parents were scientists so engrossed in their work they failed to pay enough attention to their son. One day a massive chemical accident occurred which killed his mother and left Victor crippled, almost half of his body burned away and disfigured by an acidic substance. He was near death, but his father used special experimental cybernetic implants to save his son's life, and give him super strength and other powers. However, Victor was not thankful for his father's efforts for many reasons. His mother was dead. His father was still heartless and obsessed with his work. The school football coach kicked Victor off the team because of laws on the books that meant cripples couldn't play, and everybody who met him called him a freak. So he argued with his father and didn't speak to him for several years.

Though his father was a genius, he was not a plastic surgeon. The end result of his cybernetic implants on Victor left him with one normal eye and one large red mechanical optic viewer which enhanced his sight but was just part of what made him look and feel like a monster. Also both of his legs, one of his arms, parts of his torso, and a large portion of his skull were damaged and had to be replaced with special metallic polymers. The upshot of all this heightened his strength, sight, hearing, and gave him many gadgets like an arm that shot out white sound.

The superhero team known as The Titans became Vic's adopted family. Changeling, Raven, Nightwing, Troia, Starfire, Wally West and so many others welcomed him in as if he were a normal person, because in their own way each of them were freaks too. He belonged somewhere thanks to them, and because of that he was grounded and able to discover his place in the world. Among other things, Victor found a job at an orphanage and school that specialized in caring for young people with missing limbs or other deformities. They'd see this great big ex-football player with cool shiny prosphetic limbs and they'd beam with pride and excitement. They found their hero that they could identify with, and he found in their hearts another place where he belonged.

Once STAR LABS attempted to replace Cyborg's cybernetic parts with plastics that made him appear normal but were more delicate and he lost all of his powers. He didn't mind so long as he could be normal again. However his body rejected the transplants and they were forced to put him back the way he was.

Though never truly the leader of the team, there were times when Cyborg was the glue that kept everything together, or the spark plug that forced others into action with a nudge and some strong but inarguable words of wisdom. There was a time when due to an accident in battle, he fell into a catatonic state and his mind was trapped inside a remote-controlled robot. Cyborg was eventually revived by an alien computer, but could only remain active inside that alien's technology. So he spent some time in self-exile away from his home planet Earth. When he returned his new name was Cyberion and a mesh of alien and terran technologies. He returned to a team of titans dramatically different from that which he had once known.

Cyborg was the title of the 1972 novel by military writer-historian Martin Caiden. In the novel, Caiden introduced the character Steve Austin the astronaut and test pilot who had been horribly maimed in a testing crash. This novel later inspired the long running television series The Six Millon Dollar Man.

Caiden was best known for his historical work on military aviation, including Samurai! a biography of Japanese ace Saburo Sakai and Thunderbolt! a biography of American ace and Medal of Honor winner Robert S. Johnson.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.