Domain Eukarya
Kingdom Animalia
Phylum Chordata
Class Reptilia
Order Squamata
Superfamily Xenophidia
Family Elapidae
Subfamily Notechinae
Genus Acanthopis

A snake from one of several species of the genus Acanthophis, relatives of the cobra, found throughout New Guinea and Australia (except Victoria and Tasmania).

A Death Adder is extremely odd-looking: small, short and fat with a triangular head and a short spiky tail. In fact, it is one of the few snakes which a non-herpetologist can tell the tail from the rest of its body.

A death adder is not an aggressive creature -- it hides in rock crevices, and in burrows under leaf litter to escape the sun and to lie in wait for prey. However, it will bite when provoked, injecting a potent neurotoxin that kills 50% of untreated human recipients. In this case, "provoked" means "stepped on", someting the snake will do nothing to stop: it has no hearing, and thinks the vibration from approaching footsteps is really approaching prey.

A death adder bite can only be treated with antivenin. Pressure immobilization is encouraged to buy time until the recipient can get antivenin.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.