I can't bear to waste food -- I think it's that lecture my mother used to give me about how 'the starving children in Africa' would be glad of the food I left on my plate -- so I experiment all the time with left-overs. This is a great way to use up left-over potatoes.
- Cooked boiled or mashed potatoes.
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or natural yoghurt
- 2oz butter or margarine
- If potatoes are not already mashed, mash with half the butter. If they are, dot 1oz of butter through the potato.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan, over a low heat and gently soften the onion. Do not brown.
- Combine potato, onion, cream/yoghurt and cheese in a microwaveable bowl, keeping back enough cheese to cover the top.
- Cover top with remaining cheese.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Serve as a vegetable dish with roast or grilled meat.