Melt (?), n. Zool.

See 2d Milt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Melt, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Melted (obs.) p. p. Molten (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Melting.] [AS. meltan; akin to Gr. , E. malt, and prob. to E. smelt, v. . Cf. Smelt, v., Malt, Milt the spleen.]

1.

To reduce from a solid to a liquid state, as by heat; to liquefy; as, to mell wax, tallow, or lead; to melt ice or snow.

2.

Hence: To soften, as by a warming or kindly influence; to relax; to render gentle or susceptible to mild influences; sometimes, in a bad sense, to take away the firmness of; to weaken.

Thou would'st have . . . melted down thy youth. Shak.

For pity melts the mind to love. Dryden.

Syn. -- To liquefy; fuse; thaw; mollify; soften.

 

© Webster 1913.


Melt, v. i.

1.

To be changed from a solid to a liquid state under the influence of heat; as, butter and wax melt at moderate temperatures.

2.

To dissolve; as, sugar melts in the mouth.

3.

Hence: To be softened; to become tender, mild, or gentle; also, to be weakened or subdued, as by fear.

My soul melteth for heaviness. Ps. cxix. 28.

Melting with tenderness and kind compassion. Shak.

4.

To lose distinct form or outline; to blend.

The soft, green, rounded hills, with their flowing outlines, overlapping and melting into each other. J. C. Shairp.

5.

To disappear by being dispersed or dissipated; as, the fog melts away.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.