N. (also formal: "The Fudge", informal: "fudgey", upon arrival: "Here comes The Fudge"). Formulated method commonly known as the "fudge factor" for obtaining high-speed brain-to-speech output by eliminating the need to evaluate whether or not said output is monumentally inappropriate. Often tested in situations such as an introduction, or a job interview, to provide a lasting first impression.

It can also be used in place of the word fuck, when in the presence of small children.

"Oh FUC- FUDGE! Oh fudge... I um, like fudge... shit... I mean, ships! Ships float on the water, and you can uh, eat fudge on the ships... Yes those ships sure have mighty fine fudge on them, mighty fine fudge..."

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt (actually, this is an approximation; just put some damn salt in)
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (this, too, is an approximation, and only optional, but recommended)
3/4 cup walnuts ( extremely optional)

Grease (or, better yet, line with plastic wrap or wax paper) an 8-inch square baking pan with butter or vegetable shortening.

Combine the sugar, butter, salt and evaporated milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly. until the mixture comes to a boil, then lower the heat slightly and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, continuing to stir gently until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Add the vanilla and the walnuts at this point if you are using them.

Pour and scrape into the prepared pan, cover and chill until firm, about 2 hours. Cut into sqaures to serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.

FUD wars = F = fudge factor

fudge

1. vt. To perform in an incomplete but marginally acceptable way, particularly with respect to the writing of a program. "I didn't feel like going through that pain and suffering, so I fudged it -- I'll fix it later." 2. n. The resulting code.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

4 cups, sugar
1 15 ounce can, evaporated milk
1 cup, your favorite nuts
1/2 pound, butter
2 teaspoon, vanilla
3 packages, chocolate chips
26 marshmallows

Mix milk and sugar in large pan and bring to boil over moderate heat. When the mixture reaches a rolling boil, boil for 15 minutes. Stir only enough to keep from sticking. At the end of 15 minutes of boiling, remove from heat. Add rest of ingredients and mix until all are melted and blended. Put into buttered pans and cool. Keep in refrigerator.

This stuff was always in our family's Christmas CARE packages from my great grandmother in Kansas. This makes about 5 pounds.

Not actually "traditional" fudge, but still quite tasty. This is my grandmother's recipe, with some modern touches.

1/2 lb butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp cocoa
2 packets crushed biscuits1 (milk arrowroots, marie, etc.)
Dried fruit (sultanas, mixed peel, etc.)

Process the biscuits in a food processor until thoroughly broken up2 (alternatively, put them in a bag and go smashy-smashy on them with a rolling pin). Melt the butter in the microwave until soft and mix with the sugar. Beat the eggs, cocoa and essence, then add to the butter/sugar mix. Stir in the crushed biscuits and add the dried fruit3. Smooth into a tin and refrigerate until firm. Ice with chocolate icing when cold.

It'll last for about a week and a half in the fridge, if you can somehow refrain from eating it all in that time.

1 "Sugar cookies", if you're an American. Thanks, enth.
2 Don't make them too fine - you're not aiming to make biscuit dust.
3 You'll need a lot more dried fruit than you think you will. Yes, more than that. Stop eating the orange peel.

The FUDGE Roleplaying Game is yet another generic, "one-size-fits-all-genres" style roleplatying game. The unique thing about FUDGE is that it was the first Shareware roleplaying game. (At least as far as most people know.)

Fudge was designed by Steffan O'Sullivan in November, 1992 (originally named SLUG). (I discovered it not long after that as a file uploaded to my BBS.) Steffan O'Sullivan was known as the designer of "GURPS Bunnies and Burrows" and has done other freelance work for Steve Jackson Games. He designed it to combat some of the weaknesses which he felt were part of GURPS. He later added the concept of the Fudge Die to the game when they started to sell the product. The Fudge Die was unique in that it had two minus signs, two plus signs, and two blank spots on each die.

Fudge is often faulted for not having rules to cover certain situations. For instance, there are no rules for falling damage. The designer says that rules that such rules are infrequently used, such as that, would detract from the game by requiring you to look them up in those rare situations, which bogs down play. The designer says that it would be better for the Game Master to make a spot decision and get on with the game.

Fudge also has no fixed set of character statistics. One game master could set the basic characteristics as just "Body, Mind, Soul" and another could have the standard D&D of "Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma." They also are not rated in numbers, but words. These words are also not absolute ratings, but relative ratings. So, a "Good" strength in a game involving pixies would be a Terrible strength one in a game involving larger races. The ratings are "Superb," "Great," "Good," "Fair," "Mediocre," "Poor," and "Terrible."

A character is divided up into several sections. Attributes (the D&D analogue are the ability scores), Skills (which should be familiar to most gamers now), Gifts (other systems call them either advantages or merits), Faults (other systems call these either disadvantages or flaws), and Supernormal Powers (which are those other nifty bits of things your character can do, like super powers, psionics, magic, etc.)

Since the game is freeform, the game tries to use as few rules as possible and yet maintain an actual framework for you to build your games upon. This allows it, like GURPS, to be used as the basis for a background for a roleplaying game to be produced by someone who is not interested in creating their own set of rules. Gatecrasher and Terra Incognita are both settings for Fudge that are published by Grey Ghost, the publishers of the printed version of Fudge.

These URLs might be handy to you:

  • The new home of FUDGE: http://www.greyghostgames.com/
  • The Full fudge rules: http://members.dsl-only.net/~bing/frp/fudge/index.html
  • Steffan O'Sullivan's Fudge FAQ: http://www.panix.com/~sos/fudfaq.html

mmmmm... fudge...


This is a recipe my mother-in-law gave me a loooong time ago. It's excruciatingly yummy and lends itself well to modification. For example, I've left out the nuts, added a little bit of almond flavoring, added unmelted marshmallows just before pouring... the possibilities are endless.

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups marshmallows
  • 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup nuts
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

    Directions:

    Combine butter, milk, sugar and salt in a pan. Boil the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Stir in the marshmallows, morsels, nuts and vanilla. Stir carefully to ensure all the marshmallows and chocolate morsels melt. Pour the mixture into a pan and chill it until firm. This makes ca. 2 lbs of fudge.


    I have another fudge recipe, which is useful if you don't have marshmallows but do have sweetened condensed milk (like Eagle brand).

    Ingredients:

    • 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
    • 1 14-oz can condensed sweetened milk
    • a dash of salt
    • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

    Optional:

    • 1/2 cup nuts
    • 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
    • 2 tbsp butter and 2 cups marshmallows

    Directions:

    Over low heat melt chips, milk and salt. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and optional item(s). Pour the mixture into a wax paper lined pan and chill it until firm. I'm not sure how much this makes; I will experiment and post the results later (ah, the sacrifices I make for E2...)


    In light of the newest McDonalds lawsuit...

    DISCLAIMER:

    This stuff is full of fudgy chocolaty goodness. It has a gazillion bajillion calories. If eaten in large quantities, it will make you fat, so don't come crying to me!

American Fudge seems to be very different from the fudge we have here in South Africa. Ours doesn't have any chocolate, it's basically just really really sweet and creamy and delicious, and probably very bad for you.

Here's the recipe - Ingredients:

The maximum my stove plates go to is 8, so bear that in mind when i give heat settings.Instructions:

Put the kettle on. Pour the milk into a small pot, and put it on a plate set to 8. Put the butter into a big pot, set at 6. Once the kettle is boiled, pour a cup full of boiling water, and put the tablespoon into it for a few seconds. Now use the heated tablelspoon to spoon out the syrup, putting it back in the water after every scoop. Heating the spoon with the water makes the syrup come off in one big glob, instead of sticking to the spoon.

Anyway, by now the milk's almost boiling, so once it's almost bubbling over, pour it into the big pot. Now add the sugar and condensed milk, and stir with a wooden spoon. Small brown pieces may appear at this point, but just keep stirring and they'll go away. Leave this on the stove for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, and it should start boiling. Once it starts boiling somewhat rapidly, put the heat down to 3. Now set a timer for 35 minutes, and go watch TV, coming back to still the mixture every few ad breaks. While you're waiting for that, grease some baking trays with butter, and line them with Baking Paper. The butter is just to make the paper stick down on the tray(s). It's very important to use Baking Paper, not wax paper or anything, Baking Paper.

Once the time's up, the mixture should have gone darker, and you can take it off the heat. Now, add the vanilla essence and beat it with a hand mixer. You have to beat it for a long time, otherwise it doesn't set. It's quite hard to tell when to stop beating. You've beaten it for long enough when it's really thick, and if you put a bit on a teaspoon, it sets fairly quickly. Don't underbeat! else it won't set. Once you've finished beating, pour it into the tray. You'll want it to be about 1-1.5cm thick, so you'll probably have to push it into the corners of the tray to get it spread out.

Put the trays in the fridge for a few minutes, then get a knife and cut blocks into it however big you want (I make 108 squares). Then put the trays back in the fridge, and in about an hour it will have set completely. Enjoy.

If it ends up being too hard for your tastes, cook it for a few less minutes (and vice versa).

Fudge (?), n. [Cf. Prov. F. fuche, feuche, an interj. of contempt.]

A made-up story; stuff; nonsense; humbug; -- often an exclamation of contempt.

 

© Webster 1913


Fudge, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fudged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Fudging.]

1.

To make up; to devise; to contrive; to fabricate; as, he never did the experiment, and merely fudged the data.

Fudged up into such a smirkish liveliness.
N. Fairfax.

2.

To foist; to interpolate.

That last "suppose" is fudged in.
Foote.

 

© Webster 1913


Fudge, n.

A kind of soft candy composed of sugar or maple sugar, milk, and butter, and often chocolate or nuts, boiled and stirred to a proper consistency.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.