In almost every home in America maybe even the world, there is a refrigerator. This marvelous machine that can keep many things cool and preserve food. With out a refrigerator much of our food cooked and not cooked would go bad in a short while. On many refrigerators there is also a freezer to keep stuff frozen and preserved even longer then the refrigerator can. Refrigerators these days are getting larger, more organized chock full of great features like water dispensers and ice machines. We really can take a refrigerator for granted sometimes. Just take a look back and see what they had to do to keep food good. Meat had to be salted in-order to be kept it edible. Cold drinks on a hot summer day were a luxury for most people.

What is a refrigerator made of?
Here are the major components of a refrigerator:

Confusing! What are those parts?

Well that is all fine and dandy but how does it work?
Well first the compressor compresses the refrigerant gas. By doing this the gas temperature and pressure are raised, allowing the heat-exchanging pipes on the outside of the fridge to dispel the heat of pressurization. As the refrigerant is cooled it condenses, turning into a liquid again, and moves into the expansion valve. As the liquid refrigerant travels through the expansion valve it is allowed to move from a high-pressure are to a low-pressure area. The low-pressure area is the part that the compressor is hooked to. When it is not pressurized it then expands and evaporates. When the refrigerant evaporates it instantely begins to boil and vaporize, and this is what makes it cold. It drops immediately drops to 27 degrees Fahrenheit. The second set of heat-exchanging coils inside of the refrigerator allow the refrigerant to transfer the cold and this cools the inside. There is also a fans inside and out of your refrigerator. The on the inside helps with defrosting and more even cooling, the one on the inside cools the compressor, and blows air on the heat-exchange pipes on the back. After this process is done it continually repeats. About every 15 minutes you can hear the refrigerator turn on. It is completing this process.


Re*frig"er*a`tor (-?`t?r), n.

That which refrigerates or makes cold; that which keeps cool.

Specifically:

  1. A box or room for keeping food or other articles cool, usually by means of ice.
  2. An apparatus for rapidly cooling heated liquids or vapors, connected with a still, etc.

Refrigerator car Railroad, a freight car constructed as a refrigerator, for the transportation of fresh meats, fish, etc., in a temperature kept cool by ice.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.