The defining concepts of heroism are hope and human agency. The belief in the power of people to face great challenges and solve them, if people be clever and strong enough. We can do this if we work together. Let's win this fight.

HEROISM IS: You can do this.

 

The defining concepts of horror are despair and lack of agency. In Horror you can run, or die. But you probably won't win the fight and you won't even look good for trying. No point, no hope, only screams.

HORROR IS: You can't do this.

 

The defining concepts of tragedy are irony and human agency. You strive and still come to ruin because of the very choices you made. You had your agency and you muffed it, Mr. Loman. If only you could have admitted that profession was leading you nowhere.

TRAGEDY IS: You could have done this.

 

The defining concepts of realism are hope and cost. Victory is possible, challenges can be met and resolved, but -- at what cost? What will you sacrifice? What does your heart look like in the end? Is there anything left of it? Was it all worth it?

REALISM IS: You paid a price to do this.

 

 

And what happens when realism meets the other genres?

Where heroism meets realism, the heroes retire with scarred hearts and scarred bodies, proud of victory but unable to fight any longer.

Where horror meets realism, many people may survive the disaster or escape, but it requires the sacrifice of at least one person, perhaps more than one, and maybe not a willing sacrifice.

Where tragedy meets realism, the ruination of the hero's life is not the end of the story. They have a chance to pick things up again -- but only if they're willing to pay the biggest price, which is not merely to admit they were wrong, but change their behavior for good. A hard and humbling road for anyone.

In stories, anything can happen if the author wills it. In the real world, everything has a cost.

 

So keep that in mind when I say:

It will be alright in the end, and if it is not alright, then it is not the end.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.