Last year being the 45th anniversary of the TV show, Sesame Street, I did a minor bit of sleuthing after being asked by a prodigious and imaginative noder who asked me, "Do you know how to get to Sesame Street?"

With the theme song suddenly going round and round my brain, I turned to the source of All Things Explained, Google, after an unconvincing talk with my son who wants me to join Reddit. To deter him, I began singing what I could remember.

"Sunny day, sweepin' the clouds away...." I could tell underneath his crazy morning hair, all six-foot-two barefooted, Grim Reaper tattoo on his right shoulder, gazing outside the porch screen door that he remembered. Sesame Street, Mister Rogers, and early morning cartoons hidden inside this hulk of a young man..."MOM...I need coffee first..."

"Come and play, everything's A-okay"...I sang while he made very strong coffee, nabbing two extra sausages leftover from his Dad's Sunday breakfast. (Living with someone with Alzheimer's tends to rub off, an odd phenomenom; there's the day-to-day, then you remember and forget along with the time traveler.)

In answer to the inquisitive noder, "Yes, I know one way and it's not YouTube. Over the years, subtle clues have led other seekers to this magical place. For those who want facts, Sesame Street was filmed in Astoria, Queens.

For those who wish to remember the nostalgia behind the reality, you only need look into your memories and heart, where the real things reside.

"Sunny Day, sweepin' the clouds away,

On my way to where the air is sweet,

Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street..."


Lyrics, Joe Raposo

280

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.