Initial response: "of course it does." And yeah, maybe you're right- look at Columbine for instance. An act of violence, it's an act of hatred. Or perhaps a revolt for what was perceived as hatred towards them. For others, hate is a barrier, a defense mechanism. This can go one of two ways (that I see)- 1) One desires for everyone else to hate them. - This way they don't have to deal with people, with caring. It's so easy to say "oh, they hate me" and brush off anything that can be emotionally painful. 2) One who hates everyone/everything. Hating everything is easy- it makes life easier. As with #1, doing this detaches them from confrontation, emotion, distress, etc.

So, what can we do? Hate these people who love hate? It seems a little twisted. And perhaps a bit pointless. Spreading the hatred won't make people stop hating. So, don't be afraid of hatred- reach out, and try to understand. The only thing to fear is fear itself. When you offer your hand to those bitter to take it, it gives a twinge of caring. And maybe someday, we'll all break down and reach to the softness inside. Even in the most cold of us (and I speak from experience), we know that it exists somewhere. It's a frightening thought to many of us, but maybe one day we can handle it. This is a VERY overused subject, and I don't particuarly like it- but just as an example.... What if someone had offered kindness to the Columbine shooters? (Given them a chance before they took everyone's lives into their own hands.) Bitter children- they would have cursed, bitten, like rabid animals- sworn that we were all bastards, and they didn't want our *bitter sarcastic tone* "kindness." Yeah- and you think "those ungrateful..." But inside, I think we all feel better after someone reaches out to us. And eventually, over time, it breaks all barriers.

Don't be afraid of hatred. Understand it, use it when necessary, and try not to fear in it's face. Hatred grows when it works.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.