I am in the back yard that I vaguely remember from my childhood. In the corner of my eye I glimpse a darting orange shape on the ground.

I scramble after it and discover a hideous, enormous bright orange slug. This slug's body is bigger than a Giant African Snail, but unlike the snail, this creature can move quickly. It is able to dart away before I can grab it.

I manage to corner the creature at one end of yard and get a good look at this little monster:

It occurs to me that brightly coloured creatures are usually poisonous, and that this molusc is both garish and prickled: It is covered with what looks like little horns - but they could be soft flesh. It it might not be safe to grab.

I decide to let it go (rather than risk injury). In a moment it has slithered away into the undergrowth, never to be seen again.

Later on I log onto Google in order to discover what type of slug I had found, only to be disapointed when none of my searches reveal information about an orange slug.

I was a dark villain, somehow elevated by my arrogant madness above the rest of mankind. It was night, and I strode through the freshly shattered window of a large store, a whip in each hand. With expert precision I began to slash the whips along the shelves, smashing and hurling their contents across the floor as I ran and leaped from display to display, each one lit garishly in the darkness of the store. It was intoxicating, a mad rush of freedom and rebellion, and only when the store lay in tatters did I stop and notice someone standing there. I knew her, a dark-haired girl named Kate, a part of my former existence. I advanced upon her, cracking my whips, and lashed out to kill her. She managed to dodge the full force of my strike, although she fell easily when I ran and wrestled her to the floor, watching the blood run down her face.

She smashed a nearby display case containing an ornate dagger and, before I could act, she pushed it deep into my abdomen. I struggled to get up, stumbled and fell, staggered out into the rain and the night. I knew she was chasing me and I knew I was weak, and I fled into an old church bell tower. I made a mad rush up the stairs and leaned on the gigantic hanging bell to look down. I wasn't being followed. Why would she? I felt myself getting faint, the blood was still pouring out of me, and I collapsed. I hung onto the edge of the enormous bell before falling back down where I had come, hitting the ground hard.

I laughed as I felt myself dying - I had swung the bell enough to start it ringing across the night, and the rain that had settled around its edges was pouring over me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.