Let me make this perfectly clear. If tommorow they discover Einstein wore mickey mouse adorned hooka palooka underwear with frills, this does not mean you should wear mickey mouse adorned hooka palooka underwear with frills. If Einstein has a particular stance in a debate, that does not mean you should share his stance. Several times too many, I've found this argument used on E2, and many times I've heard it elsewhere.

When someone makes the mistake of believing in something only because the majority does, we call this an ad populum fallacy. However, when someone blinds themsleves to alternative viewpoints as well as reason, their blindness is called an ad vericundiam fallacy. These two errors compounded make a breeding ground for poor arguments. First, one sees that many people think Einstein is intelligent, and then hears Einstein used sarcastically to refer to dumb people, in praise of intelligent people, and even as a newly added dictionary definition.

Simply claiming that Einstein, or anyone for that matter, had/has a particular stance on a particular subject is not an argument. Reasons, the very basis of reason, are needed, in the form of facts, references, and evidence. If you have words to defend Einstein's views (possibly even his own), then use them with conviction, and give more than simply, "He believed in it."

Einstein would probably agree.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.