Emily Jane Brontë was born in 1818 and died in 1848 of tuberculosis. She had four sisters (including Anne and Charlotte) and a brother Branwell. Emily's life was filled with tragedy. Her mother died when she yas only three and her two older sisters died in a typhus epidemic three years later when the sisters were sent away to school. The sisters returned home after this and Emily was very close to her remaining siblings.

Emily's father Patrick, a clergyman with literary inclinations, encouraged all the sisters not to be limited by traditional female roles and to think for themselves.

Emily lived in Haworth a small village in Yorkshire at the parsonage next to the bleak yet beautiful moorland that was the setting for her only novel Wuthering Heights published in 1847. This book was pseudonymously written under the name Ellis Bell because of prejudice against women writers. Before this she wrote some poetry with her sisters that was published under the title Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell in 1846. Emily's final illness began at his funeral of Branwell in 1848 who died after becoming dependent on drugs and alcohol.

These are Emily's poems.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.