Enterprise
Orbiter OV-101
See also Space Transportation System and space shuttle
This orbiter is currently inactive.

Entered service in 1977 (test vehicle only, never launched).
Transferred to Smithsonian Institution in 1985.
Used for landing braking net tests in 1987.
Currently awaiting display in the National Air and Space Museum Annex.

Flights:
Taxi Tests:
    1    02/15/77
    2    02/15/77
    3    02/15/77
Captive-Inactive Flights:
    4    02/18/77
    5    02/22/77
    6     02/25/77
    7    02/28/77
    8    03/02/77
Captive-Active Flights:
    9    06/18/77
    10    06/28/77
    11    07/26/77
Free Flights:
    12    08/12/77
    13     09/13/77
    14    09/23/77
    15    10/12/77
    16    10/26/77

Originally intended to be named "Constitution" (in honor of the bicentennial of the U.S. constitution), the Enterprise was so named because of a letter writing campaign launched by fans of the television series "Star Trek". Paramount Pictures made use of the name change to hype their new film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, even adding a scene at the last minute in which featured a wall of pictures of former ships named "Enterprise". OV-101 is, of course, among them.

From February 1977 through November 1977, Enterprise was used for approach and landing tests at the Dryden Flight Research Facility. These extensive tests demonstrated that the orbiter could fly in the atmosphere and land like an airplane. The Enterprise was carried aloft by a converted 747 and released. This same system (having the orbiter ride piggy-back style on a 747) is currently used to transport orbiters between missions.

Two NASA astronaut crews - Fred Haise and Gordon Fullerton and Joe Engle and Dick Truly - flew the Enterprise during tests. The tests involved several stages, including runway tests of the 747's mated configuration integrity, flight tests where the orbiter remained mated to the 747, and finally free-flight and landing tests in which the Enterprise was released from the 747 during flight. Later, the orbiter was used for ground vibration tests, and eventually mated to the Solid Rocket Boosters and External Tank for tests and launch complex practices.

The rest of the orbiter fleet:
Columbia * Challenger * Discovery * Atlantis * Endeavour

En"ter*prise (?), n. [F. enterprise, fr. entreprendre to undertake; entre between (L. inter) + prendre to take. See Inter, and Emprise.]

1.

That which is undertaken; something attempted to be performed; a work projected which involves activity, courage, energy, and the like; a bold, arduous, or hazardous attempt; an undertaking; as, a manly enterprise; a warlike enterprise.

Shak.

Their hands can not perform their enterprise. Job v. 12.

2.

Willingness or eagerness to engage in labor which requires boldness, promptness, energy, and like qualities; as, a man of great enterprise.

 

© Webster 1913.


En"ter*prise, v. t.

1.

To undertake; to begin and attempt to perform; to venture upon.

[R.]

The business must be enterprised this night. Dryden.

What would I not renounce or enterprise for you! T. Otway.

2.

To treat with hospitality; to entertain.

[Obs.]

Him at the threshold met, and well did enterprise. Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


En"ter*prise, v. i.

To undertake an enterprise, or something hazardous or difficult.

[R.]

Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.