Espy was a well liked member of the Debian project who was always there to talk to on IRC. He joined the project in 1997 and did most of his work from bed due to the fact that he had Duchene Muscular Dystrophy Syndrome. He passed away on July 11, 2000 and Debian 2.2 is dedicated to him, with over 200 PGP signatures on the dedication.

Es*py" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Espied (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Espying.] [OF. espier, F. 'epier, from OHG. spehn to watch, spy, G. spahen; akin to L. specere to look, species sight, shape, appearance, kind. See Spice, Spy, and cf. Espionage.]

1.

To catch sight of; to perceive with the eyes; to discover, as a distant object partly concealed, or not obvious to notice; to see at a glance; to discern unexpectedly; to spy; as, to espy land; to espy a man in a crowd.

As one of them opened his sack to give his ass provender in the inn, . . . he espied his money. Gen. xlii. 27.

A goodly vessel did I then espy Come like a giant from a haven broad. Wordsworth.

2.

To inspect narrowly; to examine and keep watch upon; to watch; to observe.

He sends angels to espy us in all our ways. Jer. Taylor.

Syn. -- To discern; discover; detect; descry; spy.

 

© Webster 1913.


Es*py", v. i.

To look or search narrowly; to look about; to watch; to take notice; to spy.

Stand by the way, and espy. Jer. xlviii. 19.

 

© Webster 1913.


Es*py", n.; pl. Espies (#). [OF. espie. See Espy, v., Spy.]

A spy; a scout.

[Obs.]

Huloet.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.