Everett High School
3900 Stabler Street
Lansing, Michigan 48910
(517) 325-6600
Fax: (517) 325-6636
http://lsd.k12.mi.us/~everett/

Principal: Dale Glynn
Assistant Principal: Gwendolyn Bodiford
Assistant Principal: Susan Land

Mission Statement:

The Everett High School learning community is committed to providing an environment that will empower students to strive for excellence in the areas of academics, technology, and school-to-work preparation which will enable them to be successful in a world of change.

Everett is one of the high schools in the Lansing School District. (The others are Eastern High School and Sexton High School) It may also be known as Lansing Everett High School, as there are a few other high schools across the United States of America with the name Everett. The school mascot is the Viking, and the colors are primarily red and white, with a little bit of light blue worked in.

Building finished on the school, and it's doors opened to students, in 1959. Currently, there is a staff of about 150 people, with over 1700 students in 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. The school was named a U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School in 1994.

On the north side of the school is a wing containing the gymnasium, locker rooms, and the pool. To the north of that is a parking lot for students, and it used to double as a course for driver's education classes in the summertime.

The east wing contains the bulk of the regular classrooms. The wing has three floors and a basement, all of which are used for classrooms. The basement is actually at ground level at the east end, with doors exiting out from the basement. Most of the lockers for students are in this wing.

There's also a long south wing, with part of the wing housing the shop and art classrooms, and a few scattered general purpose classrooms, and the other section of the wing having the auditorium, and foreign language and music clasrooms. There are also lockers in both parts of this wing, though they are often some of the last ones to be assigned (as they are often out of the way for students).

To the east of the school is the large parking lot devoted to both students and visitors. The parking lot is large enough that there is never a parking problem. A small parking lot along the west edge of the school is the teacher's parking area.

In the mid 1990's, the school made a change in the way classes were scheduled. Before then, there were 7 "hours" - class blocks.

  • 1st Hour - 7:45 AM to 8:55 AM (including homeroom time)
  • 2nd Hour - 9:00 AM to 9:55 AM
  • 3rd Hour - 10:00 AM to 10:55 AM
  • 4th Hour - 11:00 AM to 11:55 AM
  • 5th Hour - 12:00 PM to 12:55 PM
  • 6th Hour - 1:00 PM to 1:55 PM
  • 7th Hour - 2:00 PM to 2:55 PM
Lunch hour was usually 4th hour for 9th and 10th graders, and 11th and 12th grade students would get 5th hour lunch - and if they had been on track in their classes, would also be allowed to not take a 7th hour class, and go home an hour earlier. However, in 1991, the new principal changed this, as having only one class after lunch led to a higher number of absences for this class.

In the mid 1990's, this was changed to try and improve the school. They changed to "modular scheduling" - instead of the same 6 classes at the same times every day, classs now meet only four times a week, but for longer amounts of time. Thus, students have different classes on different days.

On Monday and Friday, all classes meet for 1 hour periods (instead of the previous 55 minutes). On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, however, only four classes meet, and each class meets for 90 minutes.

The school year is divided into two semesters, and each semester consists of two nine-week marking periods. Four weeks into the marking period is when parent-teacher conferences occur, and at the end, grades are turned in. The grade after the first marking period is a sort of "mid-term" grade, informing the student and their parent of the progress and performance in the class.

Everett is an "open campus" for lunch. Students are allowed to leave the premises and go home, or to area restaurants to eat. There are a number of fast food places within walking distance, including a McDonalds, Subway, Wendy's, and Burger King. The time alloted leaves plenty of time to walk or drive somewhere and eat without feeling rushed.

Notable Alumni:

Earvin "Magic" Johnson

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.