Food Not Bombs Overview

The first Food Not Bombs group was formed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1980 by anti-nuclear activists. It is one of the fastest growing revolutionary movements active in North America today and is growing all over the world. There are more than 175 autonomous groups sharing vegetarian and vegan food with everyone who wants a good meal, while protesting war and poverty throughout the Americas, Europe, and Australia.

Food Not Bombs is an all-volunteer organization and is dedicated to nonviolence; there are no formal leaders and everyone is included in the decision making process.

The groups each recover food that would otherwise be thrown out and prepare fresh, hot vegetarian/vegan meals that are served in city parks to anyone without restriction. They also serve free meals at protests and other events.

The administrations of some cities are making an effort to keep the homeless out of the parks and silence Food Not Bombs' protest against poverty and anti-homeless policies. The San Francisco chapter, for example, has been arrested over 1,000 times in an effort to silence its protest against the Mayor's anti-homeless policy. Amnesty International states that it may adopt those Food Not Bombs volunteers who are imprisoned as "Prisoners of Conscience" and will work for their unconditional release.

Food Not Bombs works in coalition with groups like Earth First!, The Leonard Peltier Defense Committee, Anarchist Black Cross, the IWW, Homes Not Jails, Anti Racist Action, In Defense of Animals, the Free Radio Movement and other organizations on the cutting edge of positive social change and resistance to the new global austerity program.

Fort Myers, FL Food Not Bombs

Yours truly is involved in the Fort Myers, Florida chapter of Food Not Bombs. Most of the volunteers are from the Fort Myers/Cape Coral punk scene, but anyone is welcome. We collect food at local health stores, produce markets, and shopping centers. The Unity Church of Fort Myers was kind enough to offer us their kitchen, and its members often volunteer to help cook and/or bring food donations. Our serving/meeting is every Tuesday at 4 PM in Centennial Park in downtown Fort Myers, Florida. We serve hot vegetarian meals to anyone who shows up, give out supplies to take home (e.g. cereal, bread, produce, etc), and most important of all: have a good time. Pay us a visit if you are in the area.

Why I Choose Food Not Bombs

Food Not Bombs is great. You have the opportunity to meet your friends, meet new people, help out people in need, and the organization of the group is awesome. Everyone has a voice in the decision making process, regardless of race, sex, age, or creed. The homeless people you meet tell the best stories, are very friendly and thankful for you helping them out. Knowing that you made someone's day by just providing them with a free meal and talking to them must be one of the most rewarding things in life.

And (the probably best thing ever) you get free food yourself!!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.