Also Resistence, or 'The Resistence', an organization that fights oppressive dictatorship, as in France, especially during the Nazis Occupation.

Even in the darkest days, there are those, whose only hope is faith, fight on despite insuperable odds.

And dispite these odds, often, finally, prevail.

Even if they do not--and as individuals most do not survive--they have no other choice but to resist.

If I am ever tested as Jews, French men and women, and many, many others in many many places, in many many times have been, I hope I am not found wanting.

The unit of resistance is the Ohm and it is notated by the Greek letter Omega.

Back in the day, (this is the early 1970's that BaronCarlos is talking about.) A bunch of physics students at Drexel University were protesting the Vietnam War.

Of course, pure science majors tend to be quite eccentric and like to stand out in their own special geek way.

Instead of carrying around placards of "Stop the War", or "Love your Neighbor", and etc, these students carried around signs with just the Greek letter Omega.

When non-geek mundanes questioned the content of the protesters. The Physics Geeks responded,

"We're the resistance dude!"

and started chanting

"Ohm......."

The resitance of a wire or other objects is a measure of the potential difference V that must be impressed across the object to cause a current I of one ampere to flow through it:

R = V/I

The unit of resistance is the ohm, for which the symbol Ω is used. 1 Ω = 1 Volt / Ampere

The resistance R of a wire of length L and cross-sectional area A is:

R = ρL / A

where ρ is a constant called the resistivity. The resistivity is a characteristic of the material from which the wire is made. For L in mass m, A in m2, and R in Ω, the units of ρ are ρ · m

Resistance varies with temperature as well.

If a wire has a resistance Ro at a temperature T0, then its resistance R at temperature T is:

R = R0 + αR0( T - T0 )

where α is the temperature coefficient of resistance of the material of the wire. Usually α varies with temperature and so this relation is applicable only over a small temperature range. The units of α are K-1 or °C-1.

A similar relation applies to the variation of resistivity with temperature. If ρ0 and ρ are the resistivites at T0 and T, respectively, then:

ρ = ρ0 + αρ0( T - T0 )

Over and over
I resist
I stand at the edge
I stare at the torrent
The cliff
The falls
The abyss

Over and over
I resist

Over and over
I let go
I fall
Over the cliff
Down the falls
Into the abyss

Over and over
I am sure
I will drown

I will lose my way
I will not surface

Ecstasy is in the air
Between trapezes

I am elsewhere
I am other
No words
No thoughts
No body
No mind

The water is cold
As I expect
When I hit
I knew by the spray
Before I jumped

Submerged
Immersed
Subversive
Over and over

I am born
From the surf
I emerge
From the waves
I am delivered

Fear is my key
Grief is my key
In the places I do
not want to go
That's where I must go

Over and over I resist
And then let go

Re*sist"ance (-ans), n. [F. r'esistance, LL. resistentia, fr. resistens, - entis, p. pr. See Resist.]

1.

The act of resisting; opposition, passive or active.

When King Demetrius saw that . . . no resistance was made against him, he sent away all his forces. 1. Macc. xi. 38.

2. Physics

The quality of not yielding to force or external pressure; that power of a body which acts in opposition to the impulse or pressure of another, or which prevents the effect of another power; as, the resistance of the air to a body passing through it; the resistance of a target to projectiles.

3.

A means or method of resisting; that which resists.

Unfold to us some warlike resistance. Shak.

4. Elec.

A certain hindrance or opposition to the passage of an electrical current or discharge offered by conducting bodies. It bears an inverse relation to the conductivity, -- good conductors having a small resistance, while poor conductors or insulators have a very high resistance. The unit of resistance is the ohm.

Resistance box Elec., a rheostat consisting of a box or case containing a number of resistance coils of standard values so arranged that they can be combined in various ways to afford more or less resistance. -- Resistance coil Elec., a coil of wire introduced into an electric circuit to increase the resistance. -- Solid of least resistance Mech., a solid of such a form as to experience, in moving in a fluid, less resistance than any other solid having the same base, height, and volume.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.