Greek is a description of people who come from the country of Greece. It is also the language they speak. Zorba was a Greek.

It is also a term for those annoying fraternity brothers. They often will sponsor Greek Fests

It is also a common term for anal sex, particularly between males. Note that the fraternity brothers usually are unaware of this definition. Also note how this gives new meaning to Greek Fests.

The language of the Greeks constituting a separate branch of the Indo-European language family, spoken primarily in Greece from the 2nd millennium BC to the present. Modern Greek dates from the 15th century and evolved from Byzantine Greek, spoken from the 5th century to the 15th century. Koine, also called Hellenistic Greek, was spoken from the 4th century BC to the 4th century AD. Ancient Greek was spoken from the 14th century BC to the 4th century BC.

It is a highly inflected language with strict rules and rather complicated grammar. The alphabet normally used is adapted from the Phoenician alphabet, circa 1000 BC.

Greek is spoken today by approximately 10 million people on the Greek peninsula and Aegean archipelago, and is the official language of Greece.

Greek. Verb. "To render unfamiliar, ie, 'it's all Greek to me.'"


In the advertising world, a 'greeked' product is one whose labeling looks familiar but, upon closer inspection, isn't actually a representation of the product you thought it was. For instance: if you see a blue soda can on a dining room table that looks to be embossed with the Pepsi logo but, upon closer inspection, has had the word 'Pepsi' in the logo replaced with the word 'Cola' or some such, that product is said to have been greeked. The word almost always appears in the past tense unless you're actually doing the product manipulation itself which is, frankly, a miniscule percentage of the population.

There are a variety of reasons to do this to a product, none of them wholesome. Generally it's because television or movie producers want a product to appear familiar to an audience but don't want to go through the legal hassle of using the real product itself, so they alter it in some way to avoid the trademark dispute.

Greeking can also be used when the use of said product could be construed as defamatory (ie, a man bludgeons an unsuspecting victim to death with a can of Pepsi. It could happen.) It's not illegal or anything, but it can cause problems later on and it's best to keep the lines of communication between the producers and advertisers open and clear without having to worry about potential negotiation roadblocks.

The greeking of products is less common nowadays that it has been in the past because product placement has become more and more common in all forms of media - it's better for all parties concerned to just knuckle down and hammer out an agreement instead of resorting to silly visual tricks. Nevertheless, the occasional obfuscated product logo still makes appearances here and there if you pay attention.

Greek (?), a. [AS. grec, L. Graecus, Gr. ?: cf. F. grec. Cf. Grecian.]

Of or pertaining to Greece or the Greeks; Grecian.

Greek calends. See under Calends. -- Greek Church (Eccl. Hist.), the Eastern Church; that part of Christendom which separated from the Roman or Western Church in the ninth century. It comprises the great bulk of the Christian population of Russia (of which this is the established church), Greece, Moldavia, and Wallachia. The Greek Church is governed by patriarchs and is called also the Byzantine Church. -- Greek cross. See Illust. (10) Of Cross. -- Greek Empire. See Byzantine Empire. -- Greek fire, a combustible composition which burns under water, the constituents of which are supposed to be asphalt, with niter and sulphur. Ure. -- Greek rose, the flower campion.

 

© Webster 1913.


Greek, n.

1.

A native, or one of the people, of Greece; a Grecian; also, the language of Greece.

2.

A swindler; a knave; a cheat.

[Slang]

Without a confederate the . . . game of baccarat does not . . . offer many chances for the Greek. Sat. Rev.

3.

Something unintelligible; as, it was all Greek to me.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.