Sur"face` (?), n. [F. See Sur-, and Face, and cf. Superficial.]

1.

The exterior part of anything that has length and breadth; one of the limits that bound a solid, esp. the upper face; superficies; the outside; as, the surface of the earth; the surface of a diamond; the surface of the body.

The bright surface of this ethereous mold. Milton.

2.

Hence, outward or external appearance.

Vain and weak understandings, which penetrate no deeper than the surface. V. Knox.

3. Geom.

A magnitude that has length and breadth without thickness; superficies; as, a plane surface; a spherical surface.

4. Fort.

That part of the side which is terminated by the flank prolonged, and the angle of the nearest bastion.

Stocqueler.

Caustic surface, Heating surface, etc. See under Caustic, Heating, etc. -- Surface condensation, Surface condenser. See under Condensation, and Condenser. -- Surface gauge Mach., an instrument consisting of a standard having a flat base and carrying an adjustable pointer, for gauging the evenness of a surface or its height, or for marking a line parallel with a surface. -- Surface grub Zool., the larva of the great yellow underwing moth (Triphena pronuba). It is often destructive to the roots of grasses and other plants. -- Surface plate Mach., a plate having an accurately dressed flat surface, used as a standard of flatness by which to test other surfaces. -- Surface printing, printing from a surface in relief, as from type, in distinction from plate printing, in which the ink is contained in engraved lines.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sur"face (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Surfaced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Surfacing (?).]

1.

To give a surface to; especially, to cause to have a smooth or plain surface; to make smooth or plain.

2.

To work over the surface or soil of, as ground, in hunting for gold.

<-- Surface, v.i. 1. To rise from the depths of a liquid to the surface; as, the submarine surfaced to recharge its batteries. 2. (a) To become known or public; -- said of information. (b) To show up, as a person who was in hiding. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.