A specific way of abstracting a task trying to simulate reality in an RPG or a larp. A mechanic is usually used to determine the outcome of tasks that ate opposed, or not implementable in real life, such as game combat.

Poker slang for a card cheat

"He fixed that deck good"
"Yup, he was a real mechanic"

A good example of this would be worm from Rounders. Worm just couldn't help himself cheating. It is because of the large amount of card mechanics that casinos insist on having one of their own dealers deal card games, it also helps the justify the rake, which is often large and quite profitable for the casino.

Me*chan"ic (?), n. [F. m'ecanique mechanics. See Mechanic, a.]

1.

The art of the application of the laws of motion or force to construction.

[Obs.]

2.

A mechanician; an artisan; an artificer; one who practices any mechanic art; one skilled or employed in shaping and uniting materials, as wood, metal, etc., into any kind of structure, machine, or other object, requiring the use of tools, or instruments.

An art quite lost with our mechanics. Sir T. Browne.

 

© Webster 1913.


Me*chan"ic (?), a. [F. m'ecanique, L. mechanicus, Gr. , fr. a machine. See Machine.]

1.

Having to do woth the application of the laws of motion in the art of constructing or making things; of or pertaining to mechanics; mechanical; as, the mechanic arts.

"These mechanic philosophers."

Ray.

Mechanic slaves, With greasy aprons, rules, and hammers. Shak.

2.

Of or pertaining to a mechanic or artificer, or to the class of artisans; hence, rude; common; vulgar.

To make a god, a hero, or a king Descend to a mechanic dialect. Roscommon.

Sometimes he ply'd the strong, mechanic tool. Thomson.

3.

Base.

[Obs.]

Whitlock.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.