display | more...
The Gnostic Catholic Church, or Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica, was founded in 1907 by Jean Bricaud, Gérard Encausse and Louis-Sophrone Fugairon. In 1908 Theodor Reuss also received consecration and authority in the church in thanks for granting a patent to Encausee for the Masonic Rites of Memphis and Mizraim. In this year the church itself was incorporated into the O.T.O. (Ordo Templi Orientis).

In 1913 Aleister Crowley coined the term Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica when he wrote the Gnostic Mass which became adopted as an official rite. The publication of the Mass was formal acceptance of the Law of Thelema by the G.C.C.

The Gnostic Catholic Church became an integral part of the O.T.O. when Aleister Crowley declared himself "Sovereign Patriarch and Primate of the Gnostic Catholic Church" in 1918.

The Gnostic Catholic Church is not recognized as an official Christian church and does not administer any Christian Sacraments.

For more information: http://www.otohq.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.