Exclusive retreat on the tip of New Zealand's South Island.

It's not easy to find good accomodation in New Zealand: There is still a plethora of bog-standard Motels, Backpackers and B&Bs which, although mostly rather cheap, are not really inviting enough to spend more than one night. Golden Bay, the beautiful subtropical haven beneath the Takaka Hills, bordering the Abel Tasman National Park and sitting on the very top of the South Island is cursed with these resorts just like the rest of NZ.

Golden Bay Lodge is different: An old stately home, it changed hands from the original owner to the current proprietors in 1997 and turned into a lodge, featuring 4 guest suites. The location is pure magic: perched above the most perfect bay that you can imagine (including white sand, perfect sunsets and lush waters) within a meticulously kept garden, guests wake up to the sound of the sea and can hop into the waves before breakfast. The lodge is ca 1 km away from the next road, so there is no noise pollution. Rooms are beautifully kept, without the kitschy bric-a-brac that normally invades classic Kiwi B&B's.

Prices are reasonable: Probably 50% above the price range for "normal" accomodation, you feel that it's worth every dollar. Prebooking is quite important, as the four units are mostly reserved well in advance. The only negative thing that comes to mind is that the walls seem to be rather thin, so if you have a rather vigorous couple next door, things could potentially get a bit loud (in theory). That should nevertheless not keep you from spending a couple of relaxing days in this little bit of paradise.

http://www.goldenbaylodge.co.nz

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.