Japanese word meaning roughly "approximate" or "approximately" in English. Goro usually follows an expression of specific time, because with the Japanese it is considered rude to be too direct or precise. Even if you're going to leave work at 6:00 exactly, when you tell others about it (especially superiors), you should pretend to be approximate about it nevertheless.

Watashi wa roku-ji-goro ni uchi ni kaerimasu.
I'm going home at (about) six o'clock.

Shichi-ji-goro ni aimashoo, ne.
Let's meet at (about) seven o'clock.

In the second example above, your friend will probably be there right at 7:00. Even though you said "approximately", this is a necessary politeness in Japanese and everyone knows you actually mean the time indicated, not "give or take a few minutes" like "approximate" times mean in English or other languages. See choodo for the antonym.

Written (goro), no kanji.

In the original Mortal Kombat, Goro was the second to last enemy, immediately preceding Shang Tsung. Besides leaping way up into the air and coming down to stomp on you, he could also hold you in his bottom two hands while beating you with his upper fists, or smack you across the screen with a two-fisted double punch.

Goro resides in a dungeon on Earth known as Goro's Lair, and is a member of a race of four-armed fighters that also includes Motaro (the second to last enemy in MK2) and Sheeva (a playable character in MK3).

五郎

Goro is also a common Japanese name meaning "fifth son", from the words "go" (five) and "ro" (son).

In the old days, peasants didn't give their sons proper names - they simply spoke of them according to their birth order. Thus, other common names were "first son" (Ichiro), "next son" (Jiro), "third son" (Saburo), and "fourth son" (Shiro). Although all Japanese have given names now, these names are still extremely common (Ichiro Suzuki, for example). They no longer necessarily imply birth order, however.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.