Meets have been an integral ingredient of TabNet's longevity; giving its members the opportunity to learn of each other as real people, not merely ghosts on a screen, allowing a common history to be written by its members to be shared by them and
all who follow, and making a community out of its members rather than a mere collection of people with similar hobbies.

KANJI: KAI E a (meet, meeting, party, join)

ASCII Art Representation:

                      %%%%
                     %%%%%%
                    %%%%%%%%,
                   %%%%  "%%%%,
                 ,%%%%    "%%%%%,
               ,%%%%"       "%%%%%,
             ,%%%%"           "%%%%%,
           ,%%%%"               "%%%%%%,
         ,%%%%"                    "%%%%%%%%%%%%
       ,%%%%"                 ,%%%,   "%%%%%%%%%
    ,,%%%""   "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%     ""%%%"
%%%%%""
 
                                      ,%%%,
    "%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                   %%%%
                  ,%%%
                  %%%"        %%%,,
                ,%%%           "%%%%,
               ,%%%              %%%%%,,
             ,%%%"      ,,,,,,,,%%%%%%%%%,
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%"""""  ""%%%%,
     %%%%%%%%%%%%""""""               "%%%%%
      %%%""                            "%%%"

Character Etymology:

An older form of this character reveals it to be a lid coming down upon a pot of steaming rice. This character first meant only to put together, but later it meant to come together/meet.

One final simplification occured in which the rather complex character representing the steaming rice was replaced with the radical meaning to speak. This may have been done both as a simplification of the writing of this character and to reflect its changing meaning.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: KAI E
kun-yomi: a(u) a(waseru) atsu(maru)

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: ai i

English Definitions:

  1. E: Buddist ceremony; understanding.
  2. KAI: meeting, assembly; party; association, club.
  3. a(u): meet, interview.
  4. a(waseru): expose to, be subject to.
  5. kai(suru): meet, assemble; join.
  6. e(suru): understand.
  7. tamatama: casually, unexpectedly; few.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 143
Henshall: 87

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

会社 (kaisha): company, corporation.
(kaishoku): dining together; mess (hall).
国会 (kokai): the Diet.

 

  Previous: cycle  |  The Japanese Kanji Metanode  |  Next: sea

Meet (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Met (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Meeting.] [OE. meten, AS. mtan, fr. mt, gemt, a meeting; akin to OS. mtian to meet, Icel. maeta, Goth. gamtjan. See Moot, v. t.]

1.

To join, or come in contact with; esp., to come in contact with by approach from an opposite direction; to come upon or against, front to front, as distinguished from contact by following and overtaking.

2.

To come in collision with; to confront in conflict; to encounter hostilely; as, they met the enemy and defeated them; the ship met opposing winds and currents.

3.

To come into the presence of without contact; to come close to; to intercept; to come within the perception, influence, or recognition of; as, to meet a train at a junction; to meet carriages or persons in the street; to meet friends at a party; sweet sounds met the ear.

His daughter came out to meet him. Judg. xi. 34.

4.

To perceive; to come to a knowledge of; to have personal acquaintance with; to experience; to suffer; as, the eye met a horrid sight; he met his fate.

Of vice or virtue, whether blest or curst, Which meets contempt, or which compassion first. Pope.

5.

To come up to; to be even with; to equal; to match; to satisfy; to ansver; as, to meet one's expectations; the supply meets the demand.

To meet half way, literally, to go half the distance between in order to meet (one); hence, figuratively, to yield or concede half of the difference in order to effect a compromise or reconciliation with.

 

© Webster 1913.


Meet, v. t.

1.

To come together by mutual approach; esp., to come in contact, or into proximity, by approach from opposite directions; to join; to come face to face; to come in close relationship; as, we met in the street; two lines meet so as to form an angle.

O, when meet now Such pairs in love and mutual honor joined ! Milton.

2.

To come together with hostile purpose; to have an encounter or conflict.

Weapons more violent, when next we meet, May serve to better us and worse our foes. Milton.

3.

To assemble together; to congregate; as, Congress meets on the first Monday of December.

They . . . appointed a day to meet together. 2. Macc. xiv. 21.

4.

To come together by mutual concessions; hence, to agree; to harmonize; to unite.

To meet with. (a) To light upon; to find; to come to; -- often with the sense of unexpectedness.

We met with many things worthy of observation. Bacon.

(b) To join; to unite in company. Shak. (c) To suffer unexpectedly; as, to meet with a fall; to meet with a loss. (d) To encounter; to be subjected to.

Prepare to meet with more than brutal fury From the fierce prince. Rowe.

(e) To obviate. [Obs.]

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Meet, n.

An assembling together; esp., the assembling of huntsmen for the hunt; also, the persons who so assemble, and the place of meeting.

 

© Webster 1913.


Meet, a. [OE. mete fitting, moderate, scanty, AS. mte moderate; akin to gemet fit, meet, metan to mete, and G. massig moderate, gemass fitting. See Mete.]

Suitable; fit; proper; appropriate; qualified; convenient.

It was meet that we should make merry. Luke xv. 32.

To be meet with, to be even with; to be equal to. [Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Meet (?), adv.

Meetly.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.