A pusillanimous measure of beer, used in pubs in Melbourne. It consists of 285 mL of beer, rather than the heroic schooner of 425 mL that is consumed in Sydney.

In Australia pot has two meanings - and yes we have a convict heritage. The most common of which refers to a pot of beer. This is 10oz a glass of beer served at your local pub. This is a common term used in Queensland BUT NOT in New South Wales or Victoria. When you are in either of the two latter states please use the term middie so that you can get a pot of beer without getting ridiculed or beaten up.

rougevert doesn't understand but seeks to alter history by whatever subversive means necessary. Don't believe anything that is said by this southern lackey of the culture rewriting guild!

Also, in poker or other betting games, the pool of bets for which the players are contending.

In Australia (and probably most other western countries), pot also means toilet. Babies defecate on a pot or "potty". The origin of the coloquialism is chamber pot, a ceramic or enamel receptical intended for nightsoil in days gone by.

A popular saying down-under is shit or get off the pot, meaning "do what you have to do, or move on".

POT is short for Politiets Overvåkningstjeneste, or in English: The Norwegian Police Security Service.

Pot is a somewhat antiquated term for cannabis, which is still used, for whatever reason, by some people. Its usage seems to be more common on the East Coast, and among older people, both of where cannabis is still somewhat forbidden. Of the many cannabis enthusiasts I know, I very rarely hear the term “pot” used.

As a term, I think it lacks elegance, and descriptiveness. It is a rather dull monosyllable, and the word seems to bring up connotations of toilets. I myself am not wildly fond of cannabis, but the word “pot” seems to be outdated, unnecessary slang for a plant that has a quite usable Latin name.

Especially as cannabis legalization has become a normal part of political discourse, it is a bit jarring for me to see newspapers (mostly on the East Coast) to write “pot” in their headlines, as if they are teenagers trying to be cool in 1973. Hopefully journalists will begin using the more technically accurate term, as they usually do for most legal and illegal drugs.

Pot (?), n. [Akin to LG. pott, D. pot, Dan. potte, Sw. potta, Icel. pottr, F. pot; of unknown origin.]

1.

A metallic or earthen vessel, appropriated to any of a great variety of uses, as for boiling meat or vegetables, for holding liquids, for plants, etc.; as, a quart pot; a flower pot; a bean pot.

2.

An earthen or pewter cup for liquors; a mug.

3.

The quantity contained in a pot; a potful; as, a pot of ale. "Give her a pot and a cake." De Foe.

4.

A metal or earthenware extension of a flue above the top of a chimney; a chimney pot.

5.

A crucible; as, a graphite pot; a melting pot.

6.

A wicker vessel for catching fish, eels, etc.

7.

A perforated cask for draining sugar. Knight.

8.

A size of paper. See Pott.

Jack pot. See under 2d Jack. --
Pot cheese, cottage cheese. See under Cottage. --
Pot companion, a companion in drinking. --
Pot hanger, a pothook. --
Pot herb, any plant, the leaves or stems of which are boiled for food, as spinach, lamb's-quarters, purslane, and many others. --
Pot hunter, one who kills anything and everything that will help to fill has bag; also, a hunter who shoots game for the table or for the market. --
Pot metal.
(a) The metal from which iron pots are made, different from common pig iron.
(b) An alloy of copper with lead used for making large vessels for various purposes in the arts. Ure.

(c) A kind of stained glass, the colors of which are incorporated with the melted glass in the pot. Knight. --
Pot plant (Bot.), either of the trees which bear the monkey-pot. --
Pot wheel (Hydraul.), a noria. --
To go to pot, to go to destruction; to come to an end of usefulness; to become refuse. [Colloq.] Dryden. J. G. Saxe.

 

© Webster 1913


Pot, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Potted; p. pr. & vb. n. Potting.]

To place or inclose in pots; as:

(a)

To preserve seasoned in pots. "Potted fowl and fish." Dryden.

(b)

To set out or cover in pots; as, potted plants or bulbs.

(c)

To drain; as, to pot sugar, by taking it from the cooler, and placing it in hogsheads, etc., having perforated heads, through which the molasses drains off. B. Edwards.

(d) (Billiards)

To pocket.

 

© Webster 1913


Pot, v. i.

To tipple; to drink. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

It is less labor to plow than to pot it.
Feltham.

 

© Webster 1913


Pot, v. t.

1.

To shoot for the pot, i.e., cooking; to secure or hit by a pot shot; to shoot when no special skill is needed.

When hunted, it [the jaguar] takes refuge in trees, and this habit is well known to hunters, who pursue it with dogs and pot it when treed.
Encyc. of Sport.

2.

To secure; gain; win; bag. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913


Pot, v. i.

To take a pot shot or shots, as at game or an enemy.

 

© Webster 1913


Pot, n.

1.

The total of the bets at stake at one time, as in racing or card playing; the pool; also (Racing, Eng.)

a horse heavily backed; a favorite. [Slang]

2. (Armor)

A plain defensive headpiece; later, and perhaps in a jocose sense, any helmet; -- called also pot helmet.

3. (Card Playing)

The total of the bets at one time; the pool.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.