TO WEED
To take a part. The kiddey weeded the swell's screens; the youth took some of the gentleman's bank notes.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Weed (?), n. [OE. wede, AS. wde, wd; akin to OS. wadi, giwadi, OFries, wde, wd, OD. wade, OHG. wat, Icel. va, Zend vadh to clothe.]

1.

A garment; clothing; especially, an upper or outer garment.

"Lowly shepherd's weeds." Spenser. "Woman's weeds." Shak. "This beggar woman's weed." Tennyson.

He on his bed sat, the soft weeds he wore Put off. Chapman.

2.

An article of dress worn in token of grief; a mourning garment or badge; as, he wore a weed on his hat; especially, in the plural, mourning garb, as of a woman; as, a widow's weeds.

In a mourning weed, with ashes upon her head, and tears abundantly flowing. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Weed, n.

A sudden illness or relapse, often attended with fever, which attacks women in childbed.

[Scot.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Weed, n. [OE. weed, weod, AS. weod, wiod, akin to OS. wiod, LG. woden the stalks and leaves of vegetables D. wieden to weed, OS. wiod&omac;n.]

1.

Underbrush; low shrubs.

[Obs. or Archaic]

One rushing forth out of the thickest weed. Spenser.

A wild and wanton pard . . . Crouched fawning in the weed. Tennyson.

2.

Any plant growing in cultivated ground to the injury of the crop or desired vegetation, or to the disfigurement of the place; an unsightly, useless, or injurious plant.

Too much manuring filled that field with weeds. Denham.

⇒ The word has no definite application to any particular plant, or species of plants. Whatever plants grow among corn or grass, in hedges, or elsewhere, and are useless to man, injurious to crops, or unsightly or out of place, are denominated weeds.

3.

Fig.: Something unprofitable or troublesome; anything useless.

4. Stock Breeding

An animal unfit to breed from.

5.

Tobacco, or a cigar.

[Slang]

Weed hook, a hook used for cutting away or extirpating weeds.

Tusser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Weed, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Weeded; p. pr. & vb. n. Weeding.] [AS. weodian. See 3d Weed.]

1.

To free from noxious plants; to clear of weeds; as, to weed corn or onions; to weed a garden.

2.

To take away, as noxious plants; to remove, as something hurtful; to extirpate.

"Weed up thyme."

Shak.

Wise fathers . . . weeding from their children ill things. Ascham.

Revenge is a kind of wild justice, which the more man's nature runs to, the more ought law to weed it out. Bacon.

3.

To free from anything hurtful or offensive.

He weeded the kingdom of such as were devoted to Elaiana. Howell.

4. Stock Breeding

To reject as unfit for breeding purposes.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.