"Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires..."

Guy Montag is the protagonist of the classic Ray Bradbury novel Fahrenheit 451. He is, as the above blurb points out, a fireman of an unexpected kind. In the world of Fahrenheit 451, houses are encased in virtually fireproof plastic shells, making uninentional fires impossible and even arson difficult. In Fahrenheit's society, books are illegal, having been replaced by the senseless television programs that keep the public content.
Montag and the other firemen are charged with enforcing the book bannings. They rush to houses with illegal books in them and douse them in kerosene from the firehoses, setting them ablaze-- at least once with the books' owner inside.
In Fahrenheit 451, Guy Montag is slowly made aware of the society he lives in by a girl whose been taught of how things used to be and a professor who still holds to the ideas of an educated world. Using Professor Faber's ingenuity and his resources as a fireman, Guy barely escapes the firemen and police that have turned to capture him for hiding books he saved. He meets up with a group of rogue intellectuals, becoming, in effect, the last copy of the Bible, to be coerced out of his memory in the future by hypnosis or similar techniques.


As a reference, Gui Montag is also the name for the generic Terran Firebat hero in StarCraft.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.