Home Hardware Stores Limited is Canada's first dealer-owned hardware cooperative. Home Hardware was established in 1964, when 128 independent Ontario hardware retailers purchased Hollinger Hardware Limited of St.Jacobs, Ontario. At the present day, nearly 1,000 small businesses operate stores throughout Canada under four types:

  • Home Hardware
  • Features hand and power tools, housewares, plumbing and electrical supplies, paint and painting supplies, sporting goods, automotive and farm supplies, giftware and seasonal lines including lawn and garden supplies.

  • Home Building Centre
  • Products suited for home renovation, repair and maintenance. Lumber, paint, power and hand tools, plumbing and electrical supplies, and other building materials.

  • Home Hardware Building Centre
  • Combining both Home Hardware and Home Building Centre, also features housewares, sporting goods, and automotive items.

  • Home Furniture
  • Casual to formal furnishings, large appliances, home electronics and accessories.

The Home Hardware name and logo became official on November 9, 1967, during Canada's centennial year. The new chain of stores allowed owner-operators to feel secure with increased advertising, shared buying power, and other resources. Home Hardware operates four distribution centres: St.Jacobs, Ontario; Elmira, Ontario; Debert, Nova Scotia; and Wetaskiwin, Alberta. With approximately 2.3 million square feet of warehousing holding over 55,000 products, Home Hardware's over 400 distinctive yellow trucks, trailers, and vans are able to supply every store. Home Hardware is Canada's only 100% Canadian, dealer-owned and operated major retailer.

Home Hardware Dealers and staff are known for supporting community projects and services by sponsoring youth sports teams, and by supporting Special Olympics Canada, Tree Canada Foundation, and The Hospital for Sick Children Foundation. Home Hardware also supports Communities in Bloom, a non-profit organization and Canadian beautification project.

Walter J. Hachborn retained the title of President following his retirement of day-to-day operations in 1988. Walter started working at Hollinger Hardware in 1938 as a stock boy and took over after Gordon Hollinger's death in 1948. He purchased the company in partnership with Henry Sittler and Arthur Zilliax in 1950. It was Hachborn's idea to start the Dealer-owned cooperative model after being encouraged by the success of the model in the United States of America. Canada has bestowed upon Walter The Order of Canada in 2000. He was also awarded the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal in 2003. Paul Straus is the current CEO of the company.

Home Hardware began in St.Jacobs, Ontario and twice a year (Spring and Fall) the corporate office hosts the Home Hardware Dealer Market which serves as a trade show and reunion spot for hundreds of Home Hardware Dealers and employees. Cuisine, and entertainment is also offered during the gatherings.

A commemorative stamp was issued by Canada Post on April 19, 2004. The 49 cent domestic rate stamp features a partially shown smiling man in red Home Hardware attire on the left of the stamp while the Canadian map displaying each Home Hardware location is depicted on the background. A vibrant red and yellow maple leaf located at the bottom right of the stamp reflects Home Hardware's corporate colours. 'Anniversaire 40 Anniversary' is centered at the bottom, above the word 'CANADA' that is located on the bottom left of the stamp. The designer, Ron Mugford, is the creative director at Home Hardware and worked with the Canada Post design team to create his first stamp design. The stamp has 42mm x 30mm (horizontal) dimensions, kiss cutting perforations, and is a self-adhesive stamp. The stamp is only the fifth commercial commemorative stamp to be issued by Canada Post since the practice began in 1994.


Sources:
http://www.homehardware.com
April - June 2004 Canada Post Stamp Collecting Magazine
10-stamp Home Hardware panel housed within an informative prestige pack

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.