Paint (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Painted; p. pr. & vb. n. Painting.] [OE. peinten, fr. F. peint, p. p. o peindre to paint, fr. L. pingere, pictum; cf. Gr. many-colored, Skr. pic to adorn. Cf. Depict, Picture, Pigment, Pint.]

1.

To cover with coloring matter; to apply paint to; as, to paint a house, a signboard, etc.

Jezebel painted her face and tired her head. 2 Kings ix. 30.

2.

Fig.: To color, stain, or tinge; to adorn or beautify with colors; to diversify with colors.

Not painted with the crimson spots of blood. Shak.

Cuckoo buds of yellow hue Do paint the meadows with delight. Shak.

3.

To form in colors a figure or likeness of on a flat surface, as upon canvas; to represent by means of colors or hues; to exhibit in a tinted image; to portray with paints; as, to paint a portrait or a landscape.

4.

Fig.: To represent or exhibit to the mind; to describe vividly; to delineate; to image; to depict.

Disloyal? The word is too good to paint out her wickedness. Shak.

If folly grow romantic, I must paint it. Pope.

Syn. -- To color; picture; depict; portray; delineate; sketch; draw; describe.

 

© Webster 1913.


Paint, v. t.

1.

To practice the art of painting; as, the artist paints well.

2.

To color one's face by way of beautifying it

.

Let her paint an inch thick. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Paint, n.

1. (a)

A pigment or coloring substance.

(b)

The same prepared with a vehicle, as oil, water with gum, or the like, for application to a surface.

2.

A cosmetic; rouge.

Praed.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.