This is a manner of standing for training and excercise in certian martial arts styles. Its primary purpose is to increase bloodflow to the legs and provide a hellish thigh workout. I am most familiar with the Karate and Tae Kwon Do methods, although many variations exist.

Getting into horse stance

  1. Stand straight up as normal. North will be forward, East will be to the right, etc.
  2. Spead your legs along the east west axis. Continue to spead until they are 1.5 to 2 shoulder lengths apart. Your feet should continue to face forward.
  3. Start lowering your hips by bending your knees. Ensure that your back stays perfectly perpendicular to the ground and remains on the same east-west axis as your feet.
  4. Put your arms to your sides. Bend your arm until it makes a ninety degree angle at the elbow. Face your hands upwards, and form them into fists.

Important things to remember about horse stance
  • Make sure that your spine is perfectly straight and perpendicular to the ground.
  • Some martial arts styles suggest that you drop your hips until your thighs are parallel with the ground.
  • Some martial arts styles require that your shins remain parallel to each other, while others allow them to come inward. Thus, the distance you spread your legs may differ depending on your martial arts style.

This stance is one of the most prolific stances in all of martial arts. It helps to strengthen the legs and instruct students in the principles behind the center of mass.

mfn

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.