Another yummy indiemo band from the Boston area. Karate is:
  • guitar, vocals: Geoff Farina
  • bass: Jeff Goddard (was Eamonn Vitt)
  • drums: Gavin McCarthy

    LPs:

  • Karate
  • In Place of Real Insight
  • The Bed is in the Ocean
    The singer is also in the Secret Stars.

    I didn't like them when they first came out because I was 'into' screamy and chuggy hardXcore, but now I appreciate them a lot more. I relate this piece of personal trivia because like so many great bands (Merel)I thought they had broken up and I would never get to see them. But they're still touring (as of summer 2000) so that's good. Check the Southern Records site for tour info: www.southern.net.

    What they sound like is mellow and drawl-sy.

  • Karate is so much more than a series of punches, kicks and fancy maneuvers. Certainly these elements form a great part of karate, but to see them as the essence of the artform is a somewhat simplistic view. The techniques themeselves were developed out of a need to give peasants living in a society in which weapons were banned the means to defend themselves. It has developed into a great tool for understanding conflict and bringing an individual into harmony with their inner being. By listening to the inner body and gaining an understanding of how the body operates, along with the regular progress made in shaping the physical self, a karateka is given an excellent tool for understanding conflict. This removes the need to engage in physical violence by replacing a selfish or proud ego with a deep humility.

    A true karateka respects life, and never enters into conflict out of a desire to gain respect or prove a point but rather to preserve that which is held most dear; The life of another human being, or the basic system of values for which he or she stands.

    The "do" in karatedo means "the way". This should not be misinterpreted as the way to perform all the physical actions "how to do karate" but rather the "way" in terms of a path. The kanji for "do" represents a series of steps, a.k.a the "path" which leads upward. Within the kanji the top of this path is such that the destination is obscured. Thus the true path of the way of karate, or the way of the warrior (bushido) only becomes apparent as one travels along that path. So it is that karate can and is often misinterpreted by outsiders or those who have merely 'dabbled' in the martial arts as just a group of people in silly suits making lots of noise.

    Karate is said to have a very long history, going back further than 500 AD on the western calendar. At that time Daruma came to China, he was the founder of Western Indian Zen Buddhism. He brought Buddhism with him, But many of his disciples were unable to keep up with his demanding spiritual and physical teaching methods. Indeed, many of them would simply drop from exhaustion. So Daruma developed a new training system to make his followers stronger and to give them more endurance. He wrote a book (Ekkin-Kyo) about his system , which was the first book ever made about karate.

    Daruma's teachings and Kung Fu (Shorin and Shokei specifically), were very influential on early Karate. Daruma's form of physical training and philosophy was taught in the Shaolin Temple as early as 500 AD. Shorin Kung Fu was popular in the south of China, and was a very dramatic martial art, with lots of kicks, jumps, and speedy movement. Shokei was primarily taught in the north, and it concentrated on slow powerful movements. All of these teachings eventually migrated to Okinawa. Okinawa already had their own unarmed fighting style which was known as Okinawa-te, or Te. Over time Te merged with the important Kung Fu schools to form Karate. The fighters in Okinawa became especially skilled due to long periods where weapons were outlawed, leaving unarmed combat as the only option.

    Basically modern Okinawan Karate developed from the the imported Kung Fu techniques combined with the pre-existing art of Te. This made for a fighting art that was both violent and disciplined. Over time Karate spread all over the world. Chances are good that there is a someplace in your area that you can learn this ancient art. Try checking your local phone book under Martial Arts to find a training center near you. Who knows, with a little training and discipline maybe you too can become a black belt!

    Atari 2600 Game
    Produced by: Ultravision
    Model Number: n/a
    Atari Rarity Guide: 10 Extremely Rare+

    Have you mastered Street Fighter 2? Are you the supreme warrior when it comes to Super Karate Monkey Death Car? Have you long been the un-rivaled master at Ultra Daiseken Capcom Super X-Man Warrior 3 Deluxe Special Edition? Well then it is time for you to go to the next level. That is where this game comes in, Karate for the Atari 2600!

    It is red man versus blue man in a fight to the death! Don't expect your mad combo skills and 47 button edeitic memory to save you this time. You only have one button with which to beat your opponent senseless. Can you meet the challenge?

    This is probably the most basic fighting game you will ever play. Don't bother playing this one in single player mode. Save this title for when you have friends over, it will be much more fun that way.

    This game is valued at around $200 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more.


    There was a second version of this game also.

    Atari 2600 Game
    Produced by: Froggo
    Model Number: fg1001
    Atari Rarity Guide: 4 Uncommon+

    An almost exact clone of the rare Ultravision game of the same name.

    This game is valued at around $6 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.