"One of the most beautiful sights is a urine dump at sunset, because as the stuff comes out [in space] and as it hits the exit nozzle, it instantly flashes into 10 million little ice crystals, which go out almost in a hemisphere, because, you know, you're exiting into essentially a perfect vacuum, and so the stuff goes in every direction, and radially out from the spacecraft at relatively high velocity. It's surprising, and it's an incredible stream - a spray of sparkles almost. It's really a spectacular sight." -Russell Schweickart, Apollo astronaut.

During rocket take-off (and landing, I think), astronauts wear diapers. During flight, they use texas catheters, IIRC.
While this may be true for capsule missions, technology has advanced somewhat, so that astronauts traveling on the Space Shuttle now have an actual toilet available to them. Although it has been the butt (ahem) of many jokes, it must be considered a massive improvement over diapers and catheters, Texas or not. :-)

I would presume that the facilities on the ISS (and Mir, and Skylab) were also more advanced and consequently more comfortable to use. They are, of necessity, unisex.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.