DISCLAIMER: Do not do this.

The following describes a procedure for self-administration of sterile chemicals into a muscle.

  1. Wash hands and injection site with antibacterial soap.
  2. Clean the injection site with isopropyl alcohol.
  3. Clean the rubber seal on chemical bottle.
  4. Invert bottle of chemical and insert needle through rubber seal at an angle. Tip of needle should touch wall of bottle.
  5. Push plunger to expell any air from syringe
  6. Withdraw plunger, drawing chemical into syringe. Remove.
  7. Tap syringe while needle pointed up (yes, like on tv) in order to allow trapped air bubbles to rise to needle.
  8. Squeeze a drop or few out of syringe in order to expell air (no need to squirt across the room).
  9. Place thumb and forefinger of free hand around injection site. Pull skin taught.
  10. Insert needle perpendicular to muscle, i.e., 90 degrees.
  11. Needle will pass through dermal layers and fat before it hits the muscle. The distance to muscle depends upon the injection site ranging from quite small (in a male pectoral) to quite large (in a big booty). There is a noticeable difference in density at the muscle. Once you feel the needle hit a dense layer a short distance in, you're there.
  12. Withdraw plunger slightly to check for blood. If you see blood in syringe, you hit a vein. Pull out. You don't want it there.
  13. If you don't see blood, slowly push plunger in. Comfort should determine how quickly to do this (you will know).
  14. Remove needle. Discard in a "sharps bin".
  15. Put a band-aid on it.

Errata:

  • A 1-inch 20-gauge needle is best for intramuscular injection.
  • Best location varies; men often find the pectoral easiest and most comfortable. Areas with less fat are preferable. YMMV.
  • Proper i.m. injection carries fewer risks than i.v. injection.
    • Air bubbles can dissolve in muscle if accidentally injected, whereas they would cause embolism if injected in a blood vessel.
    • If you go too shallow and inject into fat, absorbtion will be poor, but you will not harm yourself.
    • No danger of damaging/collapsing veins, hitting an artery, etc.
  • Injecting chemicals with ANY technique carries the risk of HIV, Hepatitis, drug addiction, death, etc., etc.

Addendum...

1)For comfort, change the needle between steps 5 and 6, as most modern needles have a fine silicon coating to facilitate entry into muscle mass. This is largely lost when pushed through the bung of a drug bottle. Common practice is to use a largish needle for drawing up the drug, smallish needle for injecting.

2)Point 14- don't remove the needle from the syringe, chuck the whole lot immediately into a sharps bin- minimises the risk of needle-stick injury (assuming you are injecting into another person.)

3)Watch where you are injecting, particularly in the Gluteal area- there are large nerves their that you really don't want to hit...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.