Again, from my Philly Phrolics philes, the cheerier companion to "Travel Emergency Tips".
  • Check in early at the boarding gate. Most flights are oversold; being there early keeps you from getting bumped to another flight. Combined with other tricks, you might even find yourself promoted to first-class.
  • Tip the crew. Individually-wrapped cookies or candies are a nice gift for the flight staff. Give them to the lead flight attendant as you board, but don't bother the lead FA for anything else - s/he is busy enough with boarding details. Collar a regular FA instead, for other matters. Also, consider tipping your FA for drinks.
  • Request a customer comment form, thank the FA by name (just look at the nametag), and keep the form out on your tray table during the flight. Do I need to explain how this keeps the service cordial?
  • Don't be needy. Tips and gifts will only get you so far. Airlines have become so extremely cost-conscious, the flight staff has neither time nor resources to cater to you extensively. You can get a blanket and a sincere smile, don't push for much more than that.
  • Comply. The flight attendants have a dual role: keeping passengers happy, and enforcing D.O.T. and FAA regulations. However uninspired their performance in the former role, you can bet they are at their least pleasant in the latter.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.