You probably have had a few splinters in your life, "Ouch! Where's a needle?", and that works pretty well. Heat the end of the needle with a match to sterilize it, stick the point under the big end where it went in and open up the entrance hole, then grasp it with a pair of tweezers. Okay for little ones, but this will address your industrial strength, professional grade splinters.

The worst ones are from the jagged end of a split piece of wood. When they enter they leave multiple spears in your finger (the usual location although the palm is vulnerable too). The problem is that if the splinter location is at a grasping surface, the body will form a callus over it to protect itself. This works for a while, but eventually the skin will crack at the site because the intergity of the skin is disrupted by the callus material. Direct pressure will reveal these splinters as the little points contact the pain sensors. This kind is often on the sides of the fingertips at an angle.

It takes the right tool to do the job right, for splinter digging I find a #11 X-acto blade works well, a sharp point and a cutting edge although a mat cutter blade works well too. The best tweezers I've found are an inking tip from a drafting tool set, remove the screw that controls the width of the ink line and you have a stainless steel grabber that is easy to control. I'm sure that physician's surgical tweezers would work well, but they aren't too available. The wide, dull, pluck your eyebrow style are generally worthless.

The first order of business is to get rid of the callus over the splinter site. The pain receptors don't grow in the callus, so if it doesn't hurt you can cut or rip the callus away (sharp or dull dissection). When it hurts or starts to bleed, then you are getting close. The wood bits are almost always too small to be grasped, but making the wound bleed is the key. You can't be a wussy, you've got to dig til it's raw, by then it's usually aching and throbbing too. Then stop. The blood will dry and the scab will form, and when it does, it will surround the little splinter ends. As the skin heals, it will re-form from the inside moving the splinters out towards the surface away from the pain sensors. What works best is an every other day schedule. Dig, bleed, heal for a day. Test by pushing on the spot. If it still hurts, dig again. When you tear off the scab that has formed, it will take with it the little ends that have been encapsulated by the scab. I have had little daggers up to an eighth of an inch come out this way, but mostly this is the only way I've found to get out those tiny killer bits. After 8 or 10 days of this routine, chances are you aren't going to want to dig open the spot any more. That's okay, but if you stop the callus will form again and when you start again you have to taake the callus off again first. Also when you stop digging for a while, the skin will heal and you can see the wood pieces in there that have been stained dark by your blood.

This probably sounds gross or like self mutilation, but to many workers, splinters are an unfortunate side effect of the job. I worked for years as a carpenter and digging splinters out was just an unfortunate aspect of the work. When I met my wife, she was working in a redwood mill as a grader and even though she wore gloves, her hands picked up tiny redwood pieces. After work we de-splintered together. Redwood will usually fester though and create an infected spot within a few days, the body seems to want them out quickly. Douglas fir (the most common construction lumber here in the West) is relatively benign to the body. Even though I haven't worked construction for quite a while, I still get some splinters that come to the surface and demand my attention.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.