As with most roller coaster definitions, the meaning of “hypercoaster” is highly debated. Hypercoaster is a term to define a certain kind of steel roller coaster. In general there are two criteria which are either met or are close to being met:

1. The roller coaster must exceed 200 feet tall.
2. The roller coaster must be a steel, non-looping roller coaster.

In regards to the 200 feet tall requirement many have argued that a coaster could easily be 190 feet, for example, and still be labeled as a hypercoaster. In regards to the second requirement, a quote from many coaster enthusiasts has become generally accepted as sound reasoning for what a hypercoaster is: "a non-looping steel coaster made to mimic wood". Many roller coaster enthusiasts would also argue that to know a coaster is a hypercoaster it simply has to be ridden, discussed, and agreed. Roller coaster riding can become more a gut feeling, no pun intended, than a science or series of facts. Once you have enough experience with roller coasters on an enthusiast level you learn to get off a coaster and agree quite rapidly, “Yes, that was a hypercoaster”. The following list contains examples of widely accepted hypercoasters. For more on this debate I suggest reading up on the archives of rec.roller-coaster.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.