(Computer programming & Software Engineering, Patterns:)
INTERCALate, v. t. To refactor a computer program (typically a large financial application written in Delphi, Smalltalk, C++ or Java), reimplementing it in the more datatype-oriented programming language of INTERCAL.

Unfortunately, the unjustified popularity in recent years of low level programming languages means that this important technique is virtually unknown. INTERCALants typically claim the language's many advanced features, in particular the powerful target-focussed COME FROM co-routining / threading / randomization primitive, make otherwise impossible programming tasks possible in INTERCAL.

In*ter"ca*late (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Intercalated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Intercalating (?).] [L. intercalatus, p. p. of intercalare to intercalate to intercalate; inter between + calare to call, proclaim. See Calendar.]

1. Chron.

To insert, as a day or other portion of time, in a calendar.

2.

To insert among others, as a verse in a stanza; specif. Geol., to introduce as a bed or stratum, between the layers of a regular series of rocks.

Beds of fresh-water shells . . . are intercalated and interstratified with the shale. Mantell.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.