4 Loaves Sourdough or French Bread (Italian bread if you live in an area that has it)
Sliced Ham (Primrose Brand if available )
American Cheese
Tomato Slices
Onion Slices
Dill Pickle Spears (Claussen Brand if available)
Green Bell Pepper Slices
Kalamata olives

Salt and Olive Oil

Assemble sandwiches; pour about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over the sandwich and salt to taste. Wrap individually in wax paper and rubber bands. Refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.

Buono Appetito!

These make for a nice summer meal. Friends have dragged me down to the grocery store and *insist* that they be shown exactly what to buy to make them! I would visit a small Mom and Pop grocer with my Grandma during visits to Portland, Maine. It was run a wonderful Italian couple Nancy and Joe who had immigrated to the US. On warm and bright lazy days we would ride into town and buy these sandwiches. They smelled so good with the olive oil and all the aromatic vegetables. Making the hot drive back, Grandma and I would stash them in a cooler and head by motorboat to across Panther Pond for a swim until we were starving, eat them up and head home for a long afternoon nap.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.