WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! CHOKING HAZARD! NOT FOR CHILDREN UNDER THREE YEARS!


Title: Stardust Memories
Release Date: March 2003
Writer: Rick Veitch
Penciller: Darryl Banks
Inker: Wayne Faucher
JLA Members: The Atom, Superman, Green Lantern (John Stewart), Batman, the Flash, Wonder Woman, Firestorm, Faith, and Manitou Raven.
Bad Guys: Mnemon.

So what happens?
First, we get to meet our Big Bad Villain for this issue: Mnemon. Who's Mnemon? He's an eensy-weensy black hole in a little spaceship that travels the universe stealing people's memories, destroying worlds, and passing it all off as Art. Oh, finally! A comic book supervillain that actually makes sense!

Meanwhile, on the moon, Green Lantern and the Atom go to check out a small metallic object that's landed near the Watchtower. Batman and Flash, back in the Watchtower, are trying to get them to pay attention to their jobs, but Atom and GL spend their time trying to remember all the lyrics to the old Hoagy Carmichael song "Stardust."

Once the Atom has shrunk down and gotten into the little spaceship to investigate, he suddenly forgets how to enlarge himself again. And Green Lantern completely forgets what a power ring is. The Flash is able to rescue them and get them into the Watchtower, but then he forgets how to turn off his superspeed. Batman has a plan to deal with the situation, but he suddenly forgets how to speak.

Wonder Woman and Firestorm show up -- while Wondy spouts a bunch of idiotic mythology-related catchphrases ("Panopea help me! Artemis be praised! Thank Sappho!"), Firestorm plans to solve the problem by burning up Mnemon's spaceship, with Atom still inside! Luckily, Superman finally arrives and stops him, but then Firestorm and Wonder Woman forget who Superman is and commence to beatin' on him.

By now, the Atom is able to escape from Mnemon -- he can't remember how to enlarge, but he can shrink down even farther, slipping out from between the molecules of the spaceship. Once the Atom gets out, Superman is able to hit the spaceship with his heat vision, causing Mnemon to release all the memories it had stolen, but also causing its own containment field to break down. Even a small black hole released so close to Earth would be disastrous, but luckily, Superman is able to grab it and hold it in his hand. 'Cause ya know, that's one of Superman's powers. Not getting sucked into black holes. Yup.

Anyway, Superman and Green Lantern are able to get Mnemon to a convenient wormhole and throw it in, where it gets sealed away forever, its sole remaining memory down to the Atom's badly-remembered version of "Stardust."

Cool Moments!
The last two words: The End.

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.