I am a child of blues. Having grown-up in the South, Arkansas to be exact, I have been listening to the blues since I was very young.
I remember sitting in our ski-boat on the lake, singing along with Koko Taylor and B.B. King with my mother.

Only recently did I begin liking Jazz. I quickly realized a gateway to a Jazz-Blues fusion sound for budding guitarists.

Traditional, down-south homegrown Blues follows a loose pattern... usually ; )

  • Riff A
  • Riff B
  • Riff A
  • Riff B
  • Riff C
  • Riff B
  • Riff A
    This means you play one "riff", or pattern of notes, then you play the next. Then, you go back to the first, and so on...
    In addition, a Blues sound can come from Pentatonic(spelling?) scales, which follow a rigid pattern.

    This will all be played in a 3 beat pattern. Three beats per measure.
    Take the guitar, and play this:

    Riff A:

  • ---
  • -5-
  • -4-
  • ---
  • ---
  • ---
    Play this in this pattern: 1 2 & 3

    Next comes this:

    Riff B:

  • -------------
  • -----------3 4---
  • -2 2 2 4------
  • -------------
  • -------------
  • -------------

    Play Riff A, then Riff B. Do this 4 times.Then...

    Riff C:

  • 5-5-5-5-5--5--5--4--4--3------------------------
  • 5-5-5-5-5--5--5--4--4--3------------------------
  • ---------------5--5--4--4--3-------------------
  • --------------------------------------
  • --------------------------------------
  • --------------------------------------

    Then go back to Riff A and start the process over. If you improvise a bit, you can make this sound great. Add a wah-wah pedal, and a bit of funk background, and you have yourself a jazz-blues fusion sound of your very own.

    By-the-way, keep the distortion down. Try for a vintage sound. That way, the jazzy riff itself won't be distorted to the point of being incoherent.

    Good luck.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.