Jesica Santillan, the young girl whose family was smuggled into the United States from Guadalajara, Mexico to get her better health care.

Jesica waited for three years on a organ donors list to only receive a 'botched set of organs.' Jesica had a heart deformity that kept her lungs from getting oxygen into her blood. The young girl who had her surgery done at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina was given organs that were the wrong blood type for her. The doctor has admitted to not checking the blood type of the organs before the surgery but says it is "...very rare that such an incident occurs." that is why the organs where not typed prior to the surgery. There is no more than 10 of these type of surgeries done a year.

Jesica was on the top of an organ donors list for February 7, 2003 two weeks after her body rejected the first set of organs. The second surgery was on February 20, 2003 and she was given a 50/50 chance of survival.

A three AM cat scan showed Jesica to be possibly brain dead, the hospital has yet to confirm - but there is no brain activity. Jesica's parents have been by her bedside since then. Her brain had been noticed to be swelling and bleeding.

The surgeon, Dr. James Jaggers, has told the mother that they should begin to consider having to take Jesica off of life support. The family spokesperson, Mack Mahoney, said the mother said "She told the doctor that it was in God's hands and not in his," he told reporters, adding that Santillan's mother, who is Roman Catholic, "certainly wouldn't be the one to take the machines off and kill her daughter." - "She said that was God's doing, and not her doing."

Jesica is 17 years old and has been on a respirator and a dialysis machine in the hospital's pediatric intensive care unit.



Update Doctors declared Jesica brain dead at 1:25 p.m. and took her off life-support machines at about 5 p.m., said Duke University Medical Center spokesman Richard Puff.

"All of us at Duke University Hospital are deeply saddened by this," Dr. William Fulkerson, the hospital's chief executive officer, said Saturday. "We want Jesica's family and supporters to know that we share their loss and their grief. We very much regret these tragic circumstances."



www.cnn.com & fox news channel

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.