A British jazz musician and composer. Though a multi instrumentalist, Surman is often referred to as a saxophone player.

Surman was born in Devon in 1944 and started as a teenager performing on the musical London scene of the 60s as an improviser and performer. He became soon known as one of the best baritone sax players of that period, along with Gerry Mulligan.

His musical peregrinations would, in the following years, see him performing on the soprano saxophone, the bass clarinet, and a dizzying array of electronic instruments.

John Surman has performances and recordings (from 1979 with the ECM label) document both his solo and group activity, the lattest in various formations wih the Gotha of the progressive jazz scene of the last 30 years (John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, Anouar Brahem, John Warren, Jaohn Taylor, Terje Rypdal, Miroslav Vitous, Jack de Johnnette, Albert Mangelsdorff... to name a few).
His work and compositions in the '90s have crossed the line from traditional and progressive Jazz to choral, English Folk and chamber music. His latest recording - 'Coruscating' - is just an example of his eclectic tastes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.