A manufacturer of high-end shock absorbers (shocks, dampers).

Koni shocks are popular with car enthusiasts, and my autocrossing friend bought some for his Honda S2000. He spent quite a bit on some custom made ones. In his words, "There are double-adjustable Konis, and then there are double-adjustable Konis."

A profile from their company website (www.koni.com):

Already in 1857 KONI began business life at Oud Beijerland in the Netherlands, with the manufacturing of horse harnesses and upholstery. By 1918 production switched firstly to radiator and spring covers and later also to metal car panel beating and spraying.

In 1932 KONI started the production of friction shock absorbers. In 1940 a manifold for cars was the first product bearing the name KONI. In 1945 the factory produced its first adjustable telescopic shock absorbers for cars and trucks, soon followed by specially designed dampers for railway rolling stock.

Since 1950 KONI has developed from a skilled small local company into a multi-national shock absorber specialist with subsidiaries in France, Germany and the U.S.A. and with independent national distributors and agents in more than 90 countries in the world.

In 1972, ITT-Industries Inc., NY, USA, a global multi-industry company with sales and revenues of US $ 4,829 billion (year 2000), acquired KONI now being a part of the ITT Industries’ Specialty Products segment. ITT Industries employs approx. 42.000 people around the world in the year 2000. In addition to the New York Stock exchange, ITT Industries’ common stock is traded on the Midwest, Pacific, London, Frankfurt and Paris exchanges

Today KONI is recognized world-wide as the quality shock absorber specialist par excellence, focussing solely on high performing suspension-damping technology for Cars, Racing, Specialty Trucks, Busses, Trailers, Locomotives and Railway Rolling Stock.

KONI shock absorbers and ride systems are, unlike from other manufacturers, specially designed for each and every application without any compromise to quality, durability and available best technology to fulfil the highest requirements for comfort, safety and vehicle (handling) performance.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.