Slang for a joint. Usage: "I'm about to go behind the house to puff a couple of Ls. You down?"

The abbreviation and commonly used name for the Chicago rail transit system. It has been seen written as the 'L' or the 'el' but is, needless to say, pronounced the same in either case.
The nickname comes from the word 'elevated', as most parts of the 11-line, twisted and jumbled system exist a story or two above ground with viaducts underneath for people to drive through, tag, and sleep under.
Other parts of the system are underground but riding on those lines is still called riding the L, nonetheless.

L is the pseudonym for the impossibly brilliant detective-for-hire from the manga/anime Death Note.

As a nameless, faceless sleuth L had, previous to the unfolding story in Death Note, helped the authorities worldwide on otherwise unsolvable cases. Not much is known about him except he possesses incredible intelligence and deductive skills. He communicates with the police agencies through a laptop displaying a white screen and an "L" and a microphone. However after beginning the Kira case, it becomes clear to him that he cannot solve the murders, by a person who can seemingly "will" a victim to die, without revealing himself.

Without spoiling any of Death Note's amazing story, L is an orphan whose deductive abilities have been encouraged to the point where now, in his mid-twenties, he is very insightful; earning him the label "Number One Detective in the World" — a modern-day Sherlock Holmes.

He has quite an eccentric way about him, sitting on chairs with his knees tucked up to his chest, dangling items gingerly only using his thumb and forefinger, and hardly ever looking anybody in the eye when speaking to them. Also, he seems to have a distinct penchant for sweets.

Going by the name Ryuzaki (also an alias) he helps the Japanese police force track down the mysterious Kira.

Other aliases used: Eraldo Coil, Deneuve.

L (el).

1.

L is the twelfth letter of the English alphabet, and a vocal consonant. It is usually called a semivowel or liquid. Its form and value are from the Greek, through the Latin, the form of the Greek letter being from the Phœnician, and the ultimate origin prob. Egyptian. Etymologically, it is most closely related to r and u; as in pilgrim, peregrine, couch (fr. collocare), aubura (fr. LL. alburnus).

At the end of monosyllables containing a single vowel, it is often doubled, as in fall, full, bell; but not after digraphs, as in foul, fool, prowl, growl, foal. In English words, the terminating syllable le is unaccented, the e is silent, and l is preceded by a voice glide, as in able, eagle, pronounced A"b'l, E"g'l. See Guide to Pronunciation, § 241.

2.

As a numeral, L stands for fifty in the English, as in the Latin language.

For 50 the Romans used the Chalcidian chi, &?;, which assumed the less difficult lapidary type, &?;, and was then easily assimilated to L.
I. Taylor (The Alphabet).

 

© Webster 1913


L (el), n.

1.

An extension at right angles to the length of a main building, giving to the ground plan a form resembling the letter L; sometimes less properly applied to a narrower, or lower, extension in the direction of the length of the main building; a wing. [Written also ell.]

 

© Webster 1913


L, a.

1.

Having the general shape of the (capital) letter L; as, an L beam, or L-beam.

2.

Elevated; -- a symbol for el. as an abbreviation of elevated in elevated road or railroad. -- n.

An elevated road; as, to ride on the L. [Colloq., U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.