Line Rocket

Line rockets are funky little pyrotechnic effects that are used in theater and other live performances.

How they work

A line rocket is pretty much a small firework rocket on a string. Okay, not on a string, but on a steel wire.

The steel wire is stretched across the room, and the rocket has a little steel loop affixed to it, so it can fly along the wire.

Why they are funky

Okay - here is how I used them in A Midsummer Night's Dream (also see Motion Detonator for more effecs from the same performance):

Imagine: you are sitting very still... Some violin music is warning you that something is going to happen. Then, all of a sudden, four rockets fly about three feet over your head, and a giant explosion happens on stage..

The rockets part, that's what line rockets are all about. You can, with 100% certainity tell where the rockets are going (they are on a wire, remember). The wire can be quite thin and almost invisible. There are two types of line rockets - one just flies very fast, and one also makes a loud whistling sound. Both types don't drip, so you can fly them just over (or next to...) the audience, scaring the wits out of people. A cheap trick, yes, but everything to make a show that gives a lasting impression, right?


Back to the node on pyrotechnics
Please read the disclaimer. Also, make sure you have read the Pyrotechnics safety tips. SAFETY FIRST

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.