Liu Biao also known as Liu Piao
Prefect of Chingchou

A central character in the early parts of Luo Guan Zhong's epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel based on the Three Kingdoms period of China, circa 2nd century A.D.. The character of Liu Biao is based on a historical figure as almost all of the novel's characters are.

Liu Biao is, while not the worst ruler of the time, a rather indecisive and ineffective ruler. He controled Chingchou and the surrounding cities. While he manages to survive the initial onslaughts of Sun Jian (Sun Chien), even causing the death of this rival in battle, he doesn't manage to realy expand his power.

Liu Biao could truly be considered a man better suited to a more peaceful time.

When Liu Bei (Liu Pei) sough refuge from Liu Biao, the later accepted immediately, even though Pei was a bitter enemy of Cao Cao (Tsao Tsao). Bei eventually was given Hsyinyeh to administer for Liu Biao, and became the the mentor to Liu Biao's eldest son and heir Liu Chi. During this time Liu Bei, along with his brothers Guan Yu (Kuan Yu), Chang Fei (Zhang Fei) and his advisor Zhu Ge Liang (Zhuge Liang, Chuko Liang or Kung-Ming), defended the northern reaches from the attacks of Cao Cao.

When Liu Biao died, he appointed Liu Bei guardian over Liu Chi, who was appointed to follow his father to the position of prefect. This action greatly angered Liu Biao's second concubine and her kinsman Ts'ai Mao (Cai Mao) who wanted the Ts'ai family to ascend to control of the province through Liu Biao's second son Liu Ts'ung. When Liu Chi heard of the illness of his father he returned from his command at Chiangsha (Changsha) to pay his filial respects, but he was refused admittance by Ts'ai Mao. Finally giving up he returned to Chaingsha. The Ts'ai concubine and Ts'ai Mao forged a document conferring the lordship to Liu Ts'ung. Liu Chi was not notified of his father's death.

The death of Liu Biao began the last days of his lands. Within a short time, Cao Cao has assumed control of the area. The power vacumn was brought to a head when Cao Cao faced the forces of Liu Bei and Sun Quan (Sun Chuan) in the Battle of Red Wall.


Note :: All names in parenthesis () are alternate spellings, or in some cases character's familiar names that are used very often in the novel.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.