Cornell University's ice hockey rink, generally considered one of the college hockey's toughest arenas for visiting teams.

Lynah's seating capacity is 3824. A low roof combined with the horseshoe setup of seats (with no seats along the west wall) makes Lynah an intimate, and very loud arena.

Cornell's students/fans are known for being passionate about their hockey team. The "Lynah Faithful" often ridicule and verbally harrass opponents into making mistakes. This is especially the case when rival Harvard comes to down. Lynah Rink takes on the smell of a fish market, as fans throw fish onto the ice when Harvard comes out of their locker room.

The rink was dedicated in 1957, and named after James Lynah, who was Cornell's athletic director a few decades earlier. Interestingly, the first game played was between the NHL's New York Rangers and AHL's Rochester Americans.

Cornell men's ice hockey has won NCAA championships in 1967 and 1970, and has been mostly competitive every year. Playing home games at Lynah has had a large part to do with the team's success. Sports Illustrated once called Lynah the toughest hockey arena for opponents to play in (although I believe that was in the 1970s...Lynah's still an imposing place to play).

Lynah Rink is located on the west side of the Field House and when there's a hockey game at the same time that the basketball team plays next door, Lynah always draws more people. Sportswise, Cornell's a "hockey school" and Lynah Rink's the centerpiece.

References: Cornell's athletic website and personal knowledge from watching dozens of games in Lynah

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.