Oh yeah, get the good stuff here baby! I make this quite a bit, I'm not sure why. Flank steak has an excellent flavor, but it's tough. I think a lot of the appeal is the challenge of it, it's a tough steak to cook well. I have perfected the process to produce a tender and flavorfull steak. It went extremely fast at the Ohio gathering, so I'll take that as a sign that it's good stuff. I don't measure, this is a rough guideline, feel free to play around.

Start of by pounding the steak well on both sides with a meat mallet. Score each side in a diamond pattern with a sharp knife, and rub both sides with coarse ground or cracked black pepper. In a bowl, mix about 1 cup each of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Add about 2 tablespoons black pepper, and a few million cloves of minced garlic (ok, I use about 10 tablespoons, whatever floats your boat). Add in one 4 oz can of tomato paste, and about 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar (and dammit, use good vinegar here). If it makes you happy, throw in some balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Mix well.

Marinate steak in the marinade for at least 24 hours and up to 72 hours. 24 is usually good enough, turn at least once, preferably every 8 hours. Cook steak over high heat on a grill to desired doneness, usually 10 minutes per side will give you a nice medium-well depending on the grill heat. Take the remaining marinade and place in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat while the steak is cooking to thicken and reduce.

To serve, cut the steak in thin strips against the grain (if you don't cut against the grain, it will be tougher). Top with the reduced sauce if desired. Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.